AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the line type dialog box in layers?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
fprico
928 Views, 6 Replies

Where is the line type dialog box in layers?

In Autocad mechanical 2013 I can not  found the linetype dialog box as in Autocad 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Sridhar-Autodesk
in reply to: fprico

Hi,

AutoCAD Mechanical launches AMLAYER dialog.  Clicking on linetype in the Mechanical layer dialog box will comeup with a dropdown menu to select line types.

Please use LAYER command to see "Select Linetype" dialog box.  In the layer dialog, you will be able to view Mechanical layers too.

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 3 of 7
fprico
in reply to: Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi,

Yes, I realized that, but I can not see any preview of the line type before applying.

Message 4 of 7
fprico

Ah ok I didn t read the part you said me to type layer, but where is the button to save the layer changes?. Althought I don t know why it only works when typing layer in the command line.

Message 5 of 7
acwtzwegers

Perhaps it's time for an AutoCAD Mechanical course? Overall you don't change linetypes, colors etc anymore - you follow the standards handed and automated for you by Mechanical.

Message 6 of 7
steve216586
in reply to: acwtzwegers

you follow the standards handed and automated for you by Mechanical.

FYI.  I want to preface this post as not meaning to degrade or insult but only to inform.

The bold text comment is simply not true.  Have you set up or adopted Drafting Standards which have ben reviewed and accepted by a panel of SMEs or for more than a local office? 

Most companies have standards which have been in place long before ACADMech.  Sure Autodesk has implimented some nice features in Mech like center lines which are actually centerlines.  But the color of them is different than what my approving authority dictates they be.  Other linetypes the same.  Autodesk has set "Generic" guidelines but the Approving authority, in a particular field of expertise, has the final say about what Standards they want to see on your submitted prints.

To have the ability to change these variations to meet the criteria established in defined Standards, set forth by an approving authority, is utmost when bidding for design contracts.  If you use out-of-the-box ACADMech to design a part for government contract, for example, your drawing won't pass the first review.  I doubt they would even send it back to you for red-lining.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 7 of 7
acwtzwegers
in reply to: steve216586

I did not mean that a company must use the ACM standards as given, but that a user very generally does not need to manually change such things:

You set up your standard/templates/... as a company once, ACM enforces them and the user (draughter) does not need to worry about using the right color, layer, linetype etc any more. When used properly, you skip a whole lot of "change layer - draw a bit - change layer - draw a bit - etc".

The main advantage does become the easier management of company styles, with less work for the user. Adding the "properties" toolbar (color, line type/width etc) only makes it easier to deviate from the company (not ACM) standard and add additional work (and chances of mistakes etc).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost