AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W Block issue--weird problem

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
nathan.bennett
627 Views, 7 Replies

W Block issue--weird problem

AutoCad Mechanical 2013

Problem:

Say i draw a square, and i "w" block the drawing and save as "newblockA".

Lets assume this file size is 100KB.

My initial w block will work just fine.

Now, say, i "w" block the same part but save as "newblockB" by the following steps:

1. type "w", press enter (write block opens)

2. File name and path destination is already highlighted, so i use the down-arrow key to bring up the previous file name.

3. Arrow key over to the letter "A" in "newblockA" and delete letter "A" and change to "B".

4. Hit enter.

File size is now 30KB.

Now, say, i "w" block the same part but save as "newblockC" by the following steps:

1. type "w", press enter (write block opens)

2. Mouse over and click "..." at destination dialog box.

3. Mouse over to select previous "newblockB".

4. Mouse to "file name" dialog box and cange letter "B" in "newblockB" and delete letter "B" and change to "C".

5. Mouse click "save" on "browse for Drawing FIle" dialog box.

6. Mouse click "OK" in "write block" dialog box

File size is now 100KB.

The issue that i am having is, when trying to import these "w-blocked" files into a nesting program to be cut on our CNC plasma table, it will only read the 100KB files, the smaller files are not being read and say they do not exist.

Tried solutions:

1. Installing SP1--does not install, get "Internal Error 2738"

"A problem prevented the Service Pack from being installed. Contact your system administrator: Error Code: 1603"

2. Used a co-workers computer to w-block parts-works just fine

3. Tried w-blocking to hard drive, desktop and various other servers on our company network-no difference.

4. Tried w-blocking as different year versions of .dwg & .dxf-same issues

Potential causes(?):

1. Reconnection of power from power outage fried my motherboard-motherboard has been replaced.

2. Computer profile was migrated after windows 7 Pro was installed, when new IT servers were commenced.

(w-block feature worked just fine prior to the above 2 listed items)

Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I could not reproduce your problem. I tried simple blocks, and some more complicated, and the difference between them was 1kb per the largest size to the smallest size of the three.

I will add that the "B" block was always the smallest. It seemed "A">"C">"B", always.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 8

I tried attaching some files, but it wouldnt let me.

Message 4 of 8

Also, i would like to note, i just got the Service Pack installed.

Evidently, when my computer was new i had a McAfee trial version...after some searching found that this program needed to be removed from the registry for the update.

So i installed the service pack, and did a "repair" on AutoCAD...but that still didnt do anything...

Message 5 of 8

Just uninstalled and reinstalled AutoCAD...

Imported my profile, and still get the same issue.

Switched my profile back to AutoCAD's <<ACADMPP>> and it fixed the issue.

So i've narrowed down the issue to my profile..now what do i do???

Message 6 of 8

This is not the answer anyone wants to hear but if you're sure it's your profile, you will have to delete the current one and rebuild another one.

For what it's worth, I've had to do this on a few occasions too, for various reasons. They never seem to come out the same and a week from now you will notice something which is different and have to edit it.

I hope that a new profile solves your problem. Backup the current one just in case.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 7 of 8

I guess i spoke too soon, i do not think it is related to my profiles.

Same issues happen whether profile is set to my custom one, vanilla, or ACADMPP.

W-block feature still screwed up..

Message 8 of 8

Can anyone tell me what the problem is, or give me a direct phone# to Autodesk technical support?

I dont understand the difference between my W-block'ing procedures, and why its not working right.

I can email someone 2 different w-blocked drawings that are the exact same, yet the file sizes are different.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost