AutoCAD Mechanical General

idwt13
Message 1 of 7 (575 Views)
Accepted Solution

VIEWBASE command help

575 Views, 6 Replies
07-24-2012 03:03 PM

When I use the viewbase command in AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 I get the dialog as shown.

Capture.JPG

When I select my Inventor part, and click open, AutoCAD throws an error saying 'Invalid Autodesk Inventor file C:\...' See below:

Capture1.JPG

I am using Inventor 2012 and Mechanical 2012. I want to be able to get 2D views of my .ipt files in Mechanical.

Any help with issue would be much appreciated.

Employee
michaelsu
Message 2 of 7 (571 Views)

Re: VIEWBASE command help

07-24-2012 06:25 PM in reply to: idwt13

Hi,

Can you try to save the ipt file in Inventor 2012 again and then try it in AutoCAD Mechanical 2012?

if it doesn't help, could you please share the file to me for further investigation?

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

idwt13
Message 3 of 7 (567 Views)

07-24-2012 07:27 PM in reply to: idwt13
It actually does this same thing with every ipt file I try. I have also tried iam files and they don't throw the error, but they don't place the view. Strange. I also just tried creating an ipt of a plain old box, saved it in Inventor 2012, and it still gave me an error. Is there any settings in Inventor I should have set-up?
Employee
michaelsu
Message 4 of 7 (544 Views)

07-26-2012 11:15 PM in reply to: idwt13

Hi,

Sorry, I could not reproduce this issue you mentioned. Could you please provide more information?

Can you try please try whether you can use VIEWBASE command for 3D solids in Model Space?

The step is, draw a box in model space, and then go to layout and use VIEWBASE to create drawing views.

Can you also try whether you can use inventor link feature in AutoCAD Mechanical?

The step is, Go to A button in the left top corner of AutoCAD Mechanical-> New -> Inventor link, then use AMDWGVIEW to create views from it.

Also, could you please let me know from what installer you have installed Inventor 2012 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012? What build version of Inventor are you using? Have you applied the service pack for them?

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

idwt13
Message 5 of 7 (538 Views)

07-27-2012 07:56 AM in reply to: michaelsu

Answers in red.

Can you try please try whether you can use VIEWBASE command for 3D solids in Model Space?

The step is, draw a box in model space, and then go to layout and use VIEWBASE to create drawing views.

Yes, this does work.

Can you also try whether you can use inventor link feature in AutoCAD Mechanical?

The step is, Go to A button in the left top corner of AutoCAD Mechanical-> New -> Inventor link, then use AMDWGVIEW to create views from it.

Yes, this does work also.

Also, could you please let me know from what installer you have installed Inventor 2012 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012? What build version of Inventor are you using? Have you applied the service pack for them?

I am using:

Mechanical 2012 (F.107.0.0) Service Pack 1 - 64-bit

Inventor 2012 (Build 190) Service Pack 1 - 64-bit

idwt13
Message 6 of 7 (537 Views)

07-27-2012 08:22 AM in reply to: idwt13

I don't know what happened to my software, but it just cleared itself up. I wonder why? Very wierd.

Thanks all for your help!

Employee
michaelsu
Message 7 of 7 (529 Views)

07-29-2012 05:59 PM in reply to: idwt13

You are welcome!

Very glad to hear the problem solved.

Let me know if you have more concerns.

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community