AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIEWBASE command help

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
idwt13
1372 Views, 6 Replies

VIEWBASE command help

When I use the viewbase command in AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 I get the dialog as shown.

Capture.JPG

When I select my Inventor part, and click open, AutoCAD throws an error saying 'Invalid Autodesk Inventor file C:\...' See below:

Capture1.JPG

I am using Inventor 2012 and Mechanical 2012. I want to be able to get 2D views of my .ipt files in Mechanical.

Any help with issue would be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
michaelsu
in reply to: idwt13

Hi,

Can you try to save the ipt file in Inventor 2012 again and then try it in AutoCAD Mechanical 2012?

if it doesn't help, could you please share the file to me for further investigation?

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 7
idwt13

It actually does this same thing with every ipt file I try. I have also tried iam files and they don't throw the error, but they don't place the view. Strange. I also just tried creating an ipt of a plain old box, saved it in Inventor 2012, and it still gave me an error. Is there any settings in Inventor I should have set-up?
Message 4 of 7
michaelsu

Hi,

Sorry, I could not reproduce this issue you mentioned. Could you please provide more information?

Can you try please try whether you can use VIEWBASE command for 3D solids in Model Space?

The step is, draw a box in model space, and then go to layout and use VIEWBASE to create drawing views.

Can you also try whether you can use inventor link feature in AutoCAD Mechanical?

The step is, Go to A button in the left top corner of AutoCAD Mechanical-> New -> Inventor link, then use AMDWGVIEW to create views from it.

Also, could you please let me know from what installer you have installed Inventor 2012 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012? What build version of Inventor are you using? Have you applied the service pack for them?

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 7
idwt13
in reply to: michaelsu

Answers in red.

Can you try please try whether you can use VIEWBASE command for 3D solids in Model Space?

The step is, draw a box in model space, and then go to layout and use VIEWBASE to create drawing views.

Yes, this does work.

Can you also try whether you can use inventor link feature in AutoCAD Mechanical?

The step is, Go to A button in the left top corner of AutoCAD Mechanical-> New -> Inventor link, then use AMDWGVIEW to create views from it.

Yes, this does work also.

Also, could you please let me know from what installer you have installed Inventor 2012 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2012? What build version of Inventor are you using? Have you applied the service pack for them?

I am using:

Mechanical 2012 (F.107.0.0) Service Pack 1 - 64-bit

Inventor 2012 (Build 190) Service Pack 1 - 64-bit

Message 6 of 7
idwt13

I don't know what happened to my software, but it just cleared itself up. I wonder why? Very wierd.

Thanks all for your help!

Message 7 of 7
michaelsu

You are welcome!

Very glad to hear the problem solved.

Let me know if you have more concerns.

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost