AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text color

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Ropsha
1457 Views, 9 Replies

Text color

Hi,

I cannot change text color for dimensions.What is problem?

Help.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
acwtzwegers
in reply to: Ropsha

AutoCAD Mechanical is not setup for such non-stadardized behaviour like draughtspeople modifying styles.

The best part of Mechanical is in fact that you will HAVE TO use company standards (as put in your template)

In short: forget that you can adjust dimstyles, text styles, use your own layers (actually: forget layers fully) and all that AutoCAD stuff.... and get trained in AutoCAD Mechanical. 🙂

Message 3 of 10
kiraimmorris

What edition/version of AutoCAD is this, because I have 2014 and I can perform the task you are attempting. But to offer a solution: try exploding (via typing explode or 'X') into the command prompt, select your dimension and follow through with the command. Now, all elements of your dimension will be seperate, except the individual character of your dimension's text. From here, select the text portion of your dimension and move it's layer to the appropriate color. You can also use the 'change layer', 'match layer', etc. commands to do this.

Message 4 of 10
acwtzwegers
in reply to: kiraimmorris

The version is autocad MECHANICAL... which is not just "AutoCAD Plus" - it actually demands from you to use a different work method..

Yes, you can change colors and such in the AutoCAD - but that doesn't mean you should. (the easiest would be through the properties palette)

In fact, when you stop trying to do such things and just follow the Mechanical methods, you will have a easier time doing mechanical drawing and according to norm (and company styles etc) then you have in AutoCAD vanilla.

The text colors, dimstyles are defined (once) in the template.

May you want to keep on doing everything your own way, I advise you to just start up the regular autocad that you also have installed. May your cad manager or IT department have disabled that option (I always do) - they probably want you to follow the flow.

Oh and remember... "Using explode is admitting CAD incompetence" 😉

Message 5 of 10
kiraimmorris
in reply to: acwtzwegers

I know it's AutoCAD Mechanical, But upon opening the '.dwg' that Ropsha left, an Incompatable version error appears. Which, word for word states, "Drawing was created with an incompatable version; Mechanical commands will be disabled. the drawing cannot be saved in this version of software"

And further more i was asking for the year or eddition, and by version I meant student, business, etc.

Now, I'm not disagreeing with you, changing the color via properties or through the dimstyle is much easier and will save you trouble, but if it doesn't work that way then make it work anyway that suits the operator. I chose explode because it's nearly foolproof, and it works as long as you've got it. And sense the only thing i have to run on is that it's AutoCADMechaincal...

And where I work, you are right, it's a 'go with the flow' mentality, but I don't change the color of my text, and we print in monochrome, anyway.

Oh and remember you're posting to help Ropsha, not mistake versatility for incompetence. "There's more than one way to skin a cat" Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 10
acwtzwegers

If you open an AutoCAD Mechanical 2015 drawing with 2014, you get the message you mentioned.

The thing here is that the best way to help Ropsha is by saying not to do that: When I see the autocad dimstyle editor in Mechanical

The explode thing is just a general rule of thumb to keep in mind: whenever you think the only option is to explode - there is probably a much better option you are overlooking. (for example: blockedit instead of explode, edit, make block).

To make things worse though: to explode a dimension is basically a heinous crime, which would get you keelhauled whenever possible. After you have exploded a dimesion, it's no longer a dimension, but ornamentation... confusing ornamentation in fact: because it looks as if it's a dimension... a thing that is accurate, on scale and associated to something that it is dimensioning. It's even worse then overwriting a dimension's text. 😛

Message 7 of 10
steve216586

kiraimmorris, exploding text? Never, never, never! There is a solution but that is never it. Please stop helping others by ruining their drawing entities.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 8 of 10
steve216586

Ropsha,

If you open OPTIONS you can select the AMSTANDARDS tab. If you right click on either the heading of the tree or on dimensions itself you can open a dialog which will enable you to change the dimension text color. You can also change the balloon color & size as well as modify other Mechanical annotations aspects to your preferences in this tab using the tree or default right click on the heading. 

Message 9 of 10
Ropsha

Hi

Thank all of your help.

I have found reason. By means of properties i have seen that used dimstyle am_iso$0, but i changed am_iso and am_iso$0 is not in list.

How change dymstyle for am_iso default?

Message 10 of 10
steve216586

Anytime you see the dollar sign ($) in a dimension style name, it indicates a style override. AutoCAD Mechanical automatically creates this new style. It will have all the base settings the same, except the change you made. This change in settings will only apply in this style with the "$" sign. It is often called a "child" dimension style for this reason. Create your own style with the changes you need, based on the ISO style, but make sure you rename it. Otherwise, this is what you get, AutoCAD renaming it for you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost