AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving title block template in 2014 products for users still on 2010 yet.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
tkasuboski
583 Views, 3 Replies

Saving title block template in 2014 products for users still on 2010 yet.

I am in charge of maintaining my company's title blocks for production prints.  I currently had 2010 product like all the others. I recently been updated to 2014 Product Design Suite so I could see if Inventor was improved to do what 2010 could not do. Anyway, I updated some of the title blocks and then saved it as a template, a day or so later, some of the other guys was telling me that they could not insert or open the new template, come to find out, I am not able to select an older template version for 2010.  Is this possible to do this without saving the drawing in 2010 version and having someone with 2010 open and then save it as a template, or am I restricted to this method??? 

The other seats are being postpone in upgrading depending on my findings with Inventor, there has been talk that if I cannot get what we are looking for Inventor to do what a current lisp program can do for our gear profiles, people for (from) Solidworks is working on the same and seeing if they can get Solidworks to do the profile of our gears that I am currently only able to do in Mechanical and then copy and paste into the inventor sketch.

Thanks for any help or solutions in advance.

Terry

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
steve216586
in reply to: tkasuboski

You are correct. The only options you have for saving are in the dialog pull-down. The .dwt selection doesn't give you the option to save, per release year like a .dwg, only as current version .dwt.

Here, we may create the template drawing in 2013 but we create the actual template on the machine with the oldest version. In our case we still have a stubborn guy using 2004. He does the "save-as" .dwt for the office.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: steve216586

Its not only the DWG version, but the vertical content version as well from Mechanical.  While Mechanical 2014 can downsave a DWG to 2010 format and the DWG extension can be renamed to DWT, the vertical content inside cannot be downsaved to 2010 format.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
steve216586
in reply to: dgorsman

We don't change the extension by simply doing a "rename" unless it is from BAK to DWG. Our templates don't have physical Mechanical objects in them. We have settings: Dimstyles, Linetypes, BOM columns, etc - only, in the template. We use AMTitle, and the browser for library structures, beyond the template.

I've found a template can be made in any version of Mechanical and not lose anything when last saved by a legacy product. I've only noticed feature changes through the years, not so much content nor any incompatibility. Our library was initially created in 2004 and we're still using those parts with 2013 with no trouble.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost