AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Inventor DWG in ACADM doesn't recognize layer color or .ctb

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
SSmith1247
400 Views, 6 Replies

Opening Inventor DWG in ACADM doesn't recognize layer color or .ctb

After a thorough search on here I haven't found anything that addresses this particular problem.  I have Inventor dwg templete set up to match our 2D drafting standards with matching layers and colors.  The problem occurs when I open the DWG in AutoCAD all of the layer colors show up except for the "0" (object, Visible ANSI) which apear white.  I can go into the block editor and change the properties on the color from "ByBlock" to "ByLayer" and it will change the color to what it's suppose to be.  However, when I do this and save it, the next time you open it in Inventor you get the "this drawing was modified outside of Inventor and will be converted back."

How can I get these drawings to not save the color as "ByBlock"?

Also, when I go to plot these layout drawings it does not recognize the ctb's and prints everything in color.  Attached is a sample shot.

Thanks.

Inventor 2013 Product Design Suite Basic
Win 7 64 Pro
Xeon 2.5 GHz
8 GB Ram
A crummy GeForce GT 610
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
acwtzwegers
in reply to: SSmith1247

Ewww. You change layer 0 properties?! Don't... ever... do... that... again.

It's hell on anyone else that gets into contact with your drawings. Mess with your own layers all you want, 0 is an AutoCAD default - leave it default.

Or I'm misinterpreting your question.

Message 3 of 7
SSmith1247
in reply to: acwtzwegers

You solved half of my problem.  I went and changed the layers back to other defaults and now it works fine.  My other problem is when I go to plot the drawing the ctb does not change the colors to black like it should.

Win 7 64 Pro
Xeon 2.5 GHz
8 GB Ram
A crummy GeForce GT 610
Message 4 of 7
acwtzwegers

Is the switch "plot with plotstyles" on in your page setup and/or plot settings?

Message 5 of 7
SSmith1247

When I went into the layers, the colors have numbers (0,255,255) instead of green or 30 for example.  I know inventor doesn't have the same color numbering system.  I don't know how to add these color profiles to the ctb or I have to go and change the layer color every time. 

Win 7 64 Pro
Xeon 2.5 GHz
8 GB Ram
A crummy GeForce GT 610
Message 6 of 7
acwtzwegers

(0,255,255) is a RGB  system to get a color, comparable to those used by, say your browser, photoshop etc. (0,255,255 means it has no red, and full green and blue)

But that is actually irrelevant for what you want to do. You do not change colors or anything about printing in the layers(ettings).

At page setup or plot, in the top right (when folded out with the arrow next to the bottom-right "help" button) there is a "edit plot style table" button - next to the Plot style table choice pulldown. Use this to change plotting colors to, say, black, and adjust linewidths.

Probably easier is to select  Grayscale.ctb.

Message 7 of 7
SSmith1247

I tried that as well as monochrome and it still holds the object color.

Win 7 64 Pro
Xeon 2.5 GHz
8 GB Ram
A crummy GeForce GT 610

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost