AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In place dimension edit

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
schnautza
5115 Views, 5 Replies

In place dimension edit

I'm new to AutoCAD Mechanical 2014 (I mostly use Inventor lately) - and I'm not a fan of the AM power dimensions - so I've set up my dimensioning to use the basic DIMLINEAR, DIMALIGNED, DIMANGULAR, and QDIM instead of AMPOWERDIM.

Untitled.png

Why? I don't want it to automatically assign a layer to my dimensions - and despite my scalping the internet for answers, I can't find a solution for that. So that is why I am not using AMPOWERDIM.

I've also disabled the context ribbon for dimensions as I find it annoying.

So now I am facing a new problem - my in-place dimension editing capabilities are gone. If I double-click on a dimension, I expect to just edit the text right there...instead the AMPOWEREDIT command runs and brings up a power dimensioning dialogue box. How do I disable this??? It is slowing me down.

Untitled.png

I thought I woudl find the answer here, as there is an option for "display dimension text editor" (OPTIONS>AM:STANDARDS, double click to edit dimension settings

Untitled.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
michaelsu
in reply to: schnautza

Hi,

From the snapshot, it seems the ribbon is on so I think you may check whether AMPOWERDIMEDITOR is set to 1.

The place you are looking in the Dimension Setting dialog is the setting which you can control whether you want to see contextual tab or power dimension dialog when you place the dimension. "Only on demand" means you only see contextual tab or power dimension dialog by editing dimension, like double click or AMPOWEREDIT.

As for automatically assigning layer, that's a feature in AutoCAD Mechanical. You can choose to turn it off if you don't want to use it by uncheck "Let AutoCAD Mechanical manage object properties". Or you can choose to configure the layer in Object Property Settings dialog (invoked by Options dialog->AM:Standards tab->double click Standard node in standard element list, like ANSI -> click Settings button in Standard Settings dialog). see snapshot. 

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 6
schnautza
in reply to: michaelsu

Thanks for your response - I had read several people say to uncheck a "Let AM manage layers" box, but could never find it before. Autocad needs to move this checkbox to a less hidden location, I would have never guessed I needed to double click on ANSI to find it.

Message 4 of 6
schnautza

New problem - that checkbox (Let AutoCAD Mechanical manage object properties) does not stay unchecked when starting a new session, even after creating a new profile with that setting in it.

How do I get this box to stay unchecked by default? This is so frustrating.

Message 5 of 6
michaelsu

Hi,

I have logged your request as a wish item in our issue tracking system and notified the product design.

Yes, actually it belongs to standard settings that are per drawing, instead of registry. You can see the drawing icon in Options dialog. see snapshot.

You can save your standard settings by creating and saving as a template. Then the next time is just to new a drawing based on the template.

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 6 of 6
brandonhavel
in reply to: michaelsu

this is unacceptable!!!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost