AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add Linear Parameter value into BOM/Part Reference Automatically?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1798 Views, 10 Replies

How to add Linear Parameter value into BOM/Part Reference Automatically?

I am trying everything that I know to link the linear parameter in dynamic block editor into BOM/Part Reference Symbol in that way, when I stretch the block using the blue arrow grip, then bring up the parts list, the length will also be automatically updated. Please help because I need to solve this so I can present it to the company. If this works, it will help the petition to buy AutoCAD Mechanical for more than 15 Designers (Company will have a big transition from very old CAD software to the latest version of AutoCAD Mechanical). We are not using the Content Editor part of mechanical because of bunch of layers we are using including different color coding and specific names to each color that you can turn off and on individually in just one part of a small and big assembly. Thank you very much!

Well Lalat

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Sridhar-Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

BOM/Partlist is updated based on the partref info.  Unfortunately we cannot link block editor parameters to BOM/Partlist.  As you know, we may have to use CONTENT EDITOR parameters to update partlist.

Please let me know if you need any help on CONTENT EDITOR

Thanks

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi Sridhar,

Thank you for your fast response. I think it is a good idea in the future version of AutoCAD Mechanical to be able to link the Dynamic Block parameters or the Dimensional Contstraints into the Part Reference/BOM similar to the Content Editor for simple blocks (that cotains length, width, depth, thickness, angle, etc.). I am pretty much sure a lot of CAD users will like that.

Questions In CONTENT EDITOR:

1. How do you make blocks that you can change the color, lineweight, etc. after you insert it from content library?

2. There are only 4 available contours that you can use, how do you know if you are working with contour 2, 3 or 4 (i know the default is contour 1) How do you switch between contours?

Thank you for your time and I really appreciate your quick response.

regards,

Well Lalat

Message 4 of 11
Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi Lalat,

Please find my answers below:

1. How do you make blocks that you can change the color, lineweight, etc. after you insert it from content library?

SS: AutoCAD Mechanical follows mechanical layer management.  The standard and custom content layer color can be managed from Options>>AM Standards tab>>Double click Standard>>Settings>>Object property dialog box.

OR 

You may switch of mechanical layer management and follow BYBLOCK concept to create your content.  With this procedure, you can change the color of the content through property palette.

2. There are only 4 available contours that you can use, how do you know if you are working with contour 2, 3 or 4 (i know the default is contour 1) How do you switch between contours?

SS: Contours are associated objects drawn on designated layers.  Please find below configuration.

Contour1 is drawn on AM_0
Contour2 is drawn on AM_1
Contour3 & 4 is drawn on AM_2

Thanks,

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

I still cannot make the color to be "BYBLOCK". Can you explain to me how can I do that per your last email below:

Hi Lalat,

Please find my answers below:

SS: AutoCAD Mechanical follows mechanical layer management.  The standard and custom content layer color can be managed from Options>>AM Standards tab>>Double click Standard>>Settings>>Object property dialog box.

OR 

You may switch of mechanical layer management and follow BYBLOCK concept to create your content.  With this procedure, you can change the color of the content through property palette.

Thank you in advance.

Message 6 of 11
Sridhar-Autodesk

Did you switch off "Object property settings" and then insert the content on the layer of your choice?  I am not able to attach an AVI file as it is 3 MB.  Can you provide me an E-mail ID?

Thanks,

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Sridhar,

Thank you for the fast response. here is y email address...

nca_arcomworks@yahoo.com 

Thank you.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Hi Sridhar,

I just wanted to follow up my last email regarding the content block color?

Thank you in advance.

Lalat

Message 9 of 11
Sridhar-Autodesk

Hi Lalat,

I have sent you an E-mail with the attachment.

Thanks,

Sridhar Subramani

Senior Product Owner

Message 10 of 11
wtassone

Sridhar,

I created Custom Content that draws pipe to length; The content draws and inserts correctly, but I need to:

1.) add the length to the measurement field

2.) append the the length to the part description field.

The standard content does this, but I'm unable to do it with the Custom Content.

Please Help.

Thanks,

Wayne

Message 11 of 11
MattJLC
in reply to: wtassone

I realize this is an old post but I'm also trying to find an answer to what wtassone posted.

I've created a part in custom content, it's a simple rectangle that represents a piece of material
that may be cut at any length. I'm using a dimensional constraint with a drag grip to modify the
length once the part is inserted, no different than say using a steel tube out of the standard content.

The only property I'm hung up on is mapping the length of the part to the to a property in the BOM

Any help would be appreciated,
Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost