AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop multiple sessions of Autocad opening?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
jmjenkins11
6067 Views, 9 Replies

How do I stop multiple sessions of Autocad opening?

I posted this problem in the AutoCAD 2009 forum (see link to post below).

Just wondering if anyone knows how to make this happen.

I"m trying to just get AutoCAD 2009 to load (when I double click on a DWG from Windows Explorer).  I can make it work to load MECH, but I'd rather it loaded normal 2009.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2009/How-do-I-stop-multiple-sessions-of-Autocad-opening/td-p/3...

Thanks,

Jon

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: jmjenkins11

When you go to your Start menu to launch your program, do you mean you pick from the list that first pops up? Or do you actually go to Start --> All Programs --> autodesk --> autodesk Mechanical 2009 and then click the lauch button? I ask because way down in there is the separate button for launching AutoCAD by itself without the Mechanical add-on. I suspect that what you are doing is still launching Mechanical but with its profile set to Vanilla...

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 10
jmjenkins11
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

I don't start AutoCAD from the start menu - I just double-click on a DWG file.  If I go to the Start -  All Programs --> autodesk --> I see both AutoCAD Mech. and AutoCAD.

When I opened up AutoCAD I see that the profile in there is set to <<VANILLA>>.

Message 4 of 10
Bob_Zurunkle

If you want to launch true AutoCAD, follow my instructions from my previous post. You can create a shortcut key and even pin it to your Start menu. I think that as long as LAUNCHER is what is starting your program (as opposed to ACAD.EXE), it will remember the last program that you opened a drawing with, and stick with that setting until you change it. You can also right-click a drawing file and go through the options to tell it which specific program you want to use all the time to open that file with. 🙂

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 5 of 10
jmjenkins11

I can get True AutoCAD to load, but the problem I am having is that everytime I double-click a file to open it, it opens another full blown version of AutoCAD.  I would rather it just opened the drawing in the AutoCAD that is already open.

Message 6 of 10
Bob_Zurunkle

Type in SDI and set it to zero.

Message 7 of 10
jmjenkins11

Tried that.....it didn't make a dfference.  I can get it to work correctly opening Mech, but not plain AutoCAD.

Message 8 of 10
Bob_Zurunkle

Lettuce go back to where you said you double click on a file to open a drawing. Have you tried right clicking and using "open with"? There's an option to "choose default program" and yours may be set to ACAD.EXE instead of AutoCAD Drawing Launcher...

Message 9 of 10
jmjenkins11

I am using the AutoCAD Drawing Launcher and it will open up AutoCAD Mech.  It does work for that - so if I double click on two or more drawings, only one version of Mech. opens up.  I want to make this work for AutoCAD.  I have made lots of custom changes to AutoCAD (menus, short-cut keys, etc....).   I don't want to go through the hassle of putting all of those in Mech.(if I don't have to).

Message 10 of 10
jmjenkins11

Some how, it's now working. I think it has something to do with the last version of AutoCAD that I have opened.  So once I open a copy of Mech.  I have to then go back and open a copy of AutoCAD before it will start working for that.

Thanks all - for your help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost