AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I enter metric values in an imperial drawing without doing the math?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
714 Views, 3 Replies

How can I enter metric values in an imperial drawing without doing the math?

I would like to enter 100mm value into an imperial layout file and have it return with 3.937" input. I know that Inventor, Pro-Engineer, SolidWorks and KeyCreator all do this. I really hope there is a way to get AutoCAD to do this also. I'm using AutoCAD mechanical 2014. Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Here's a solution to your problem. I believe the post over there is self-explanatory.

Once you've written that command, you can start dragging lines and instead of the usual value you put in, you just write (mm x) where x is your length. You could define your analogous (defun in(x) (* x 25.4)) to get millimeters.

Hopefully it helps.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thank you for the response gezimbasha but being a very new user of AutoCAD can you tell me where I should be putting the code: (defun MM (x) (/ x 25.4)) Thank you again.
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Of course. I've taken some screenshots to make the job easier. I'm using 2015, but they're identical when it comes to the solution of this problem.

1. Locate the command bar and write the function (defun MM (x) (/ x 25.4))

commandbar.PNG

2. When drawing a line, when you get to this point - that is to specify the second coordinate -

line.PNG

3. Write (mm x) where x - is your length in millimeters. Also, make sure you write the parentheses as well:

line to mm.PNG

That will give you a line with the length in inches:

linaa.PNG

Hope this helps dude, if you need any help let me know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost