AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11
WillG
1870 Views, 10 Replies

FEA 3D

Can someone please help me. I have always worked with mechanical desktop 2004, and I have used AMFEA3D command in it. Now I am starting to use Mechanical 2007 and I can only find that tool for 2D. Is that right? Or have I missed something? Also, what shall I do if I want to do FEA in 3D?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
lsaapedd
in reply to: WillG

Can someone please help me. I have always worked with mechanical desktop 2004, and I have used AMFEA3D command in it. Now I am starting to use Mechanical 2007 and I can only find that tool for 2D. Is that right? Or have I missed something? Also, what shall I do if I want to do FEA in 3D?

Buy Inventor. That is the only way to get Mechanical Desktop now. AutoCAdD Mechanical is 2D only.
Message 3 of 11
JDMather

Autodesk Inventor Professional

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 11
WillG

Thanks for your help guys. I will start putting my efforts into that.
Message 5 of 11
WillG

Can someone help me again please. After reading some information I got the impression that FEA is only available with Inventor Professional. Also I discovered that mechanical desktop is available with the inventor series, so does that mean that FEA 3D is available with mechanical desktop that is available in Inventor Series? Or do I have to get inventor professional with no other option to get FEA 3D.
Message 6 of 11
.Peter

Dear WillG,

>>..After reading some information I got the impression that
>>FEA is only available with Inventor Professional.
That concerns the FEA for Inventor which is avaliable only in Inventor Professional, see Table below.

>>Also I discovered that mechanical desktop is available with
>>the inventor series, so does that mean that FEA 3D is
>>available with mechanical desktop that is available in
>>Inventor Series?
Yes
>>Or do I have to get inventor professional with no other option to get FEA 3D.
No

Inventor Series includes:
- Mechanical Desktop with 3D FEA (AMFEA3D)
- Mechanical with 2D FEA (AMFEA2D)
- Inventor without FEA

Inventor Professional includes:
- Mechanical Desktop with 3D FEA (AMFEA3D)
- Mechanical with 2D FEA (AMFEA2D)
- Inventor with 3D FEA

HTH
Regards
Peter
Message 7 of 11
WillG

Thanks very much Peter. Very helpful.
Message 8 of 11
mcmillag

I use Autodesk Inventor Pro & Solidworks 2007 with Cosmos Works and Floworks. Both are pretty good but If I had to pick I'd go with Cosmos Works.
Message 9 of 11
RobertBPrice
in reply to: .Peter

Peter - can I import a 3D model created in ACAD 2013 into Mechanical 2013 to do 3D FEA?

Thanks

Bob Price

Message 10 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: RobertBPrice

Reading the thread I would suspect that AutoCAD Mechanical does not do 3D FEA, you would need Inventor Professional for that functionality (or Autodesk Simulation).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
RobertBPrice
in reply to: JDMather

I suspect you are correct JD but I watched a video by Peter that implied 3D was possible in AC Mechanical. 

On a related subject I just posted a question regarding the inadequacy of the materials list in AC Mechanical FEA 2D.   If you look at it you will see that the choices for aluminum alloys are byzantine. 

Cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost