AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'FATAL ERROR - out of memory

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ut2897h
1967 Views, 5 Replies

'FATAL ERROR - out of memory

Can anyone answer this question. I have a file with 4 xrefs inserted. I take this file and try to change the xrefd files to an inserted file. I can change 3 of the 4 files but when I do the last file I always get the error: 'FATAL ERROR - out of memory - shutting down'. I have recovered all the files, I have tried doing a copy with base point and paste it in an empty file only to get the same reply. The file sizes are 17.3MB, 16.9MB, 11.8MB & 64.3MB. The xrefd file is 744KB. I didn't have any problem when I was using 2004 and 2009 versions. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
archking3
in reply to: ut2897h

from my exp. is when opening big files over and over it keep building up memory (ram) unilt it gets 50% total of computer at that point it will fatal error or close program (to see how much memory its using go to task manger)

so i practice when opening huge models or drawing with tons of xrefs in them, once and while i save and close down autocad so it dump its memory cache(see photo below)

how much ram does your computer have?

are your xref on server or on personal Harddrive?

more ram may help but it isnt cure once it eats up 50% of ram it still do it. but more ram means it take longer before it hits that point.

taskbar.JPG

Message 3 of 6
ut2897h
in reply to: archking3

It has 3.16 G ram and the files are stored on the hard drive (C).
Message 4 of 6
archking3

if possble i would double ram , can try do some clean up in autocad files pruge and audit .them  file sizes pretty big ,

i work on large building sites with 100's of 3d mdoels of xrefs  dwg what has  xrefs in it, is always small file size never counds xrefs  in memeory  so go into each xref try purgeing . if when you edit models try only  haveing 1 autocad runing.  i also found if you making block inside blocks inside blocks it and leave data entrys what can build up making dwg huge. i normaly dont work with any models wiahta re blocks  if i find them i explode them and purge them, thing with data entery you cant seleect them with a mouse  there only 2 ways i found works sleect all  and deselect objects by hand with shift key press down. or use command callled Qselect, try cleaning up your dwgs taht may be cheaper way then buying ram. 

trust me fattal eror is pain in #$@ but try these things to help cure it

also check see if you need any  patches install SP or hotfix (but only install a hotfix if you truely needed)

sicne you working on 2008 and 2009 autodesk wont support you much, after few years they stop help support on older programs, but i have list of little hidden commands i made over years working with program. That can fix some odd problems

Message 5 of 6
ut2897h
in reply to: archking3

My IT dept said for the type of computer I have they can't increase the RAM but they will try an upgrade to a new video card and try to get the system to recognize more memory. I purge each file before I save/close it to save storage space. Our old system would do a recover and compress the file, something I think AutoCAD needs to copy.
Message 6 of 6
archking3

if your getting new card make sure they get workstation card vs video card for games. Workstation cards cost more but they are made for cad, as well try find autodesk old list of approved cards, they wont have it on there site anymore most likely if your useing 2008 or 9 . Google may help but gota make sure its approve card for your needs and workstation card

i think ram on computer > then new card tho

workstation card helps but if you can get 12gbs or more it be alot more stable

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost