AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to STEP file

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
marksmithayr
9920 Views, 14 Replies

Export to STEP file

Much of the content of my exported STEP file is missing 

I am using AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 & SolidWorks 2013

Can you give basic advise on what may be wrong, apart from the part I'm no expert in either package.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
michaelsu
in reply to: marksmithayr

I am not sure how you exported STEP in Solidworks. If you want to do it in AutoCAD Mechanical, you can first use IMPORT command to import the models into AutoCAD Mechanical. Then use STEPOUT to export the step file.

If that doesn't help, please send me (zhiyuan.su@autodesk.com) a sample model for a look.

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 3 of 15
m_latz
in reply to: marksmithayr

STEPOUT in AutoCAD supports two different AP's (Application Protocol) 203 C2/C4/C6 and 214 C2.

But STEP files make only sense if you export 3D solid models.

For a complete translation scheme from AutoCAD entities to STEP entities AP203/AP2014 see the step help file in your AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 installation at C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013\Help\step_16_0.chm.

And if you export from AutoCAD to Solidworks and there is something missing that should there try the "cycle test".

After exporting from AutoCAD to STEP make an IMPORT to AutoCAD again. If then is something missing, that should not, according the translation scheme in the help file, then you have a problem.

Hope that helps.

Message 4 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: m_latz

If you still can't figure it out - attach your original file and the STEP file here (or indicate in some other way (like screen captures) what is missing).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 15
Drafter1981
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

Just following the thread in search of another conversion process. I tried the same procedure as a STEP File however from regular AutoCAD the conversion does not work. Am I missing a command? Please refer to my attached File.

BTW.. thanks again for your help with the  "STL" conversion files

Milt Fitzgerald (a.k.a. Drafter1981)
Fitz’ Digital Cad Service L.L.C. (Consulting Business)
https://sites.google.com/site/fitzdigitalcadservice/
Message 6 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: Drafter1981

@Drafter1981 wrote:

..I tried the same procedure as a STEP File however from regular AutoCAD the conversion does not work. ...

I've read this several times and I don't understand what you are trying to do or what your question is?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 15
Drafter1981

JD,

Basically I would like to export out to STEP, (STEPOUT command, or print to 3D command).

That being said,

I guess what I really would like to know is if there is another version of AutoCAD besides Mechaical or "MEP" that can export to STEP?

The more I dig into this the more I'm finding out, and that the "Older" versions of AutoCAD had the same functionality of MEP.

This brings me to another question...

"What is the best, or most useful version of AutoCAD, or an Autodesk prouduct to use for exporting to a 3D STEP file"?

Thanks,

Message 8 of 15
JDMather

Autodesk Inventor will save as STEP. 

(I think Fusion 360 will, but not sure.)

For 3D printing most any Autodesk product will save as *.stl format.

Message 9 of 15
Drafter1981

Thanks again JD,

I'm still investigating what or which program is the best overall.

I feel bad telling my friends and customers to use this site (meaning Autodesk in general) to get answers or to promote software and there is not one program or person from Autodesk that can give my friends, co-workers, my customer or me a straight answer on what to use.

Thanks again for your Help and Information.

Sincerely,

Milt (a.k.a.: Drafter1981)

Message 10 of 15
JDMather

I just went through all of the threads you have posted here.

I have no clue what your industry is or what you need to do.

Based on the fact that I have no clue what you need to do - I could not possible make any recommendations myself.

Except to recommend that you have your VAR do an on-site visit to discuss your needs.

Message 11 of 15
JDMather

Milt,

Did you ever come up with a needs/problem description?

Message 12 of 15
Drafter1981

JD,

Thanks for writing back or asking.... and the answer is "NO".

It seems the only people that have been responding are the gurus like yourself

I actually only received responses from Dean (pendean), and Melanie Perry (Wonderer-MOTD).

To answer the question about what trade, or industry...,as a consultant I've been working with everyone.

This recent project is for "Mechanical" but the parts to be manufactured, or developed,

are for the "Construction/ Architectural field".  The "Cone, Loft or Helix / STL from AutoCAD"

that you helped me with, was for "Industrial Design / Educational Purposes"

to show other students what can be done with a 3D printer

I guess working with other trades is not high on anyone's list.

Personally I just feel bad about not being able to help or at the very lease,

be able to give someone answer about purchasing software.

Thanks anyway for all of your help.

Regards,

Message 13 of 15
jeremyroland

I was also wondering, what is the easiest way to export a polygonal model from Maya into a STEP file type?

Message 14 of 15
Milt-Fitz
in reply to: jeremyroland

@ jeremyroland

I'm not sure about working with Maya, which is why I asked on on of my post "What is the Best Autodesk Product for File Conversions?"

That being said, I guess Autodesk is pushing multiple products or suites for guys like me, since I seem to work in multi-discipline or with different industries.

As far as using AutoCAD MEP, it should export to STEP however, this past year, after getting involved with 3D printing, I have found that "STL"  seems to be the way to go for 3D exports (refer to JD' comment: STL Files from AutoCAD for 3D printers) .

Obviously anything larger than the 3D print bed needs to  converted into another format, or drawn on a different CAD system.

Hope this helps. Take care and have a good Holiday (Happy New Year's 2015).

Regards,

Milt

Siemens Industries (Full-Time Office Position)
Message 15 of 15
tdhardy

AutoCAD mechanical is not keeping the same scale when exporting a dwg file to a step or iges file. I am using the trial,, not sure if that is relevant. Is there a way to keep the same scale when exporting?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost