AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning Issues - Different values for the same line

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Jigg
1428 Views, 3 Replies

Dimensioning Issues - Different values for the same line

Hello,

I have a dimensioning problem in AutoCAD Mechanical 2014. 

I'm a new hire in a company whos CAD department is otherwise non existant (for a while anyway). In an exising file, there is a drawing of a fitted assembly with general dimensions. In another part of model space there are scaled up copys of the peices in the assembly. These also have dimensions, but in more detail.

The assembly in model space is accurate, simply put, where a line is 9 units long measures out at 9 units (inches, in this case)

However, finding that same line in the detail section, it is larger yet has the same measurement. I figgured who ever put it there just exploded or manually editied the dimension. However, when the part/dim lines are stretched the annotation follows accordingly. This is where I have line measured at 6 units is actually 9 units. How can this be? Can you sneak a multipler into a power dimension or something?

http://i.imgur.com/vgKYln7.png  <-- same file, but incase the inline doesnt work

I have attached a picture, on I have floor anchors spaced every 3 feet, 3 inches. You can see the spacing and repeating pattern on the top and bottom instances. The dimensions are all preexiting. When I place a new dimension on the top most, I get the same value. I can also draw a line the same length by specifying 3'3". 

However, on the bottom of the picture I also have the same, yet slightly larger (about 33% larger) view of the component. The dimensions are shown as 3'3". However if I redimension it shows up as 4' 10-3/4", Drawing a 3'3" line also comes up shorter than that, and has to be 4'10.75". (if I proceed to stretch that portion of the part the dimesions adjust acordingly)

I have verified that the drawing is in 2D and the dimensioning is not snapping to any out of plane elements.

I guess my question is if there is a way to manually change the scale of a dimension line in different parts of the same drawing, and in model space. Weird I know.

I'd like to know if there is something I'm overlooking, because looking at a bunch of the company's drawings I dont see any utilizing multiple viewports (and thus scales) in paperspace. So I'm guessing there are a lot of copied parts blown up for detail in modelspace just like this drawing, and will probably run into the same problem again and again.

Thanks for listening to my ramble, and hopefully you can help me out!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
steve216586
in reply to: Jigg

There is a feature to create a detail view which will do exactly what you are describing. Look into detail views here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqtfdvbS9qE 

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 4
michaelsu
in reply to: Jigg

You can check what is linear scale for those dimensions and whether they are using the same linear scale. It's corresponding to sysvar DIMLFAC.

By default AutoCAD Mechanical doesn’t honor it since powerdim is able to automatically detect scale factor from scale area or viewport, etc.

If that's the case, you can choose to respect DIMLFAC by Uncheck “Ignore autocad scale factor for linear dimension measurements” in Dimension Settings dialog of AM:Standards tab of Options dialog. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks.
Michael Su
SQA Engineer
Autodesk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Message 4 of 4
Jigg
in reply to: michaelsu

Steve, thanks for the tip, that is deffintely something to checkout after watching the video. It'll be even more useful if you can occloud/mask and dimension referencing inside of the bubble only.

Michael- I found the dimlinearscale in the more nitty gritty properties the other day. Not sure how I overlooked it in the ribbon. My situation was a part that was scaled up 1.5, taking the recprocal leaves you with a dimlinearscale of 0.667 to retain realitive dimensioning.

Thanks for the concrete answer though. Ill try out DIMLFAC when I get the chance. I'll hollar up again if I have any problems.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost