AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCad to PDF automation tool

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
goztepe2002
1178 Views, 11 Replies

AutoCad to PDF automation tool

Hi All, 

I am new to the board and i wasn't able to find the functionality that i was looking for online.

Is anyone aware of any converter software that can monitor a windows directory and automatically convert cad drawings to pdf as soon as there is a new drawing or an existing drawing gets updated ? 

I appriciate your help.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: goztepe2002

Automatic, on it's own, with no user input, and keeping your fingers crossed it magically shows what you want in the PDF?

Or you can use PUBLISH command if that's an option, built into AutoCAD.
Message 3 of 12
goztepe2002

A software that can monitor a directory for dwg files and once someone publishes a copy into that specific folder, software would automagically convert it to PDF. I am trying to eliminate the human step of manually converting dwgs to pdf. 

Message 4 of 12
dgorsman

I know what you're asking for, and no - I'm not aware of anything commercial that will do the trick.  There's a few stumbling blocks along the way, e.g. needing to be able to call a session of AutoCAD or other software which can both open and print a drawing, which will automatically have access to the correct paths for CTB/STB files, PC3s, SHX references, XREFs, and so on.

It could be possible with a session of AutoCAD running on a spare computer with a simple DOS box program that monitors a folder (or folders), and opens a session for each file found.  But there's a fair amount of programming needed to pull it off consistently.

Out of the box there *is* the option to automatically create DWF files as users work on the sources files.  But that imposes a bit of a speed penalty.  The DWF files could then be routed elsewhere on an overnight basis for conversion to PDF if desired, since they are a little more automation-friendly.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 12
goztepe2002
in reply to: dgorsman

Thank you gorsman. That was very informative.

Message 6 of 12
himanshu.7710

Is there an option of generating automated PDF in which if we click on a relay contact. It will take us to the place/ sheet in pdf where we have used that contact.
Message 7 of 12
pendean
in reply to: himanshu.7710

Hyperlink?
Message 8 of 12
himanshu.7710

Yeah, something like that in the generated PDFs. Do you have any idea if we can do it?
Message 9 of 12
pendean

AutoCAD 2016s at the moment can assign bookmarks (and page numbers) to PDFs, you'd have to then manually add a hyperlink in AutoCAd to your relay to go to that page or bookmark.
Message 10 of 12
himanshu.7710

Hi Pendan, its not about page number or bookmark. I am talking about AutoCAD electrica, is there any option in acad electrical using which if we click on any component in (PDF) it will take you to the actual place where it has been used. Something like 'surfer' option in auto cad, same functionality in PDF.

Message 11 of 12
pendean

AutoCAD 2016s = all autocad variants in the 2016 family.
Are you using ACADE2016?

No, there is no automatic way to do what you want, but it's worth trying and experimenting in AcadE2016:
To go from PDF to an AutoCAD element you need to assign that element a VIEW, create a hyperlink at that element that comes back to the view, and in ACADE2016 ensure you use the built in PDF drivers with the hyperlink option selected, to create the PDF then test.
Message 12 of 12
himanshu.7710
in reply to: pendean

I am using Auto CAD electrical 2013. I am not sure, if that has the capability. ANyway, I will try and will update you.

Thanks for the info.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost