AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD not frozen, but can't work inside graphics window

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
DRoam
5383 Views, 10 Replies

AutoCAD not frozen, but can't work inside graphics window

I'm having a strange issue with AutoCAD. After I work with it for several minutes, all of a sudden I can't do anything inside the graphics window. I can hover over the buttons in the ribbon and interact with them, I can even issue a command by clicking them. But I can't escape out of the command, I can't type in the command bar, and I can't click or pan or do anything in the graphics window. I can't close individual files, but I can close AutoCAD itself and it offers for me to save my work, which is somewhat helpful and somewhat not.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and do you know what I can do to prevent it from happening? Thanks for any suggestions!

AutoCAD Mechanical 2013 Product Design Suite

Windows Vista Enterprise SP2

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
pendean
in reply to: DRoam

Change the hardware acceleration settings in your AutoCAD version and see if that help.

Updating (or sometimes downgrading) your system video card driver may help too.

You are describing a video display problem outside of AutoCAD.

Message 3 of 11
steve216586

When this happens, does the command line prompt you to hit enter to continue or show a question mark?  But neither entries will do anything.  I have that same problem and have had it since 2007.  I don't know what causes it and have not gotten any help.  CMDDIA, ATTDIA, FILEDIA are all set to show everything as well.  I once thought the program was acting like it waiting for input but it doesn't allow it.

I close, and it saves, and I restart my computer, and it goes a way for a while.  Month or two.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 11
Bill.Schmid

I've got a user who started having this issue yesterday. It's not like she changed anything. She's not one to do that. We filed a support request on it this morning. Stay tuned...
Message 5 of 11
t.potter

Just had this issue with AutoCAD LT 2013. I've resolved it for the moment by unplugging my 3D Connexion Space Navigator - as soon as it was unplugged AutoCAD returned to normal behaviour.

I saw it was listed in the spec. in the post above and thought it was worth a try, there must be a clash with the driver? The other clue was that panning and zooming with the Space Navigator was the only thing I could do in the graphics window.

Hope this helps!

Message 6 of 11
jeffsteiger6735

I've been having this same problem when working with Inventor 2013 and Autocad mechanical 2013 at the same time. Turn ON hardware acceleration seems to have solved it.

Inventor Professional 2020
HP Z440, Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.6GHz
32GB Ram
GTX 1080
Windows 10
Message 7 of 11
russell.brooks
in reply to: t.potter

I had the same issue today. Graphics screen unavailable, command icons worked but could not interact with drawing elements. Rebooted, repaired AutoCAD, closed and restarted AutoCAD, nothing fixed it.

I saw this response to unplug 3D Connexion mouse and went to try that, BUT grabbed the mouse USB connection out instead. Everything returned to normal. I never unplugged the 3D Connexion mouse.

Odd.

Message 8 of 11
Eskemojoe007

This was exactly my problem, I had messed with the USB ports to get a new mouse, and the space pilot was making everything nuts in Autocad.  

Message 9 of 11
Ecosse
in reply to: Eskemojoe007

Started getting this recently, now the fourth time in as many days except it won't let me save and exit. Stuck in a save as loop, Oh where is my Windows 7.

Message 10 of 11
Ecosse
in reply to: Ecosse

Seems it was the new apple phone, Windows 10 can't find it's icon so freezes every thing
Message 11 of 11
agwebster1

Just had this problem. Unplugged 3D mouse and everything went back to normal. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost