AutoCAD Mechanical Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 Uses Full CPU Core When Idle

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JamieVJohnson2
749 Views, 4 Replies

AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 Uses Full CPU Core When Idle

Hello,

It appears there is an error with the Mechanical add on with AutoCAD that causes a full CPU core usage even when the user has it minimized and is not running any commands.  It is not completely repeatable, but it happend very often (daily).  When it happens it also caues AutoCAD to crash when closing.  My machine is powerful (at today's standard), and is able to draw in AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 without any noticable lag.  The memory however is severely leaking at that time as a 500mb process climbs to 600mb and keeps rising, at idle.  My guess, as a programmer, is a routine that got stuck in a loop, running in the 'background' of the same AutoCAD CPU core, and when AutoCAD attempts to close all processes, it causes the program to crash.  I ran process explorer, and it only shows the acad.exe processes running all the time, nothing else, no sub processes.  (that rules out sketchbook)  This would explain why many users are running out of memory and crashing daily.

Does anybody have more information on this?  Can it be fixed by us users?  Is there a fix by Autodesk for it?

jvj

Dell Studo XPS 9100

Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz

12 GB Ram

Windows 7 64 Bit

jvj
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hi Jamie,

Did you manage to submit a crash error report with us. If so can you provide the email address you used ?

Are you loading the default profile of AutoCAD Mechanical or you have a custom one ?

Do you have any support files in a network location and sharing it with multiple users ?

Do let us know, if you have any screenshot of the crash error.

Meanwhile you can try to upgrade Graphic card driver to certified one from this link and also make sure to upgrade to SP1 for AutoCAD Mechanical 2012. This might help to fix your problem.

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 5

My crash reports should have been submitted under jamie.johnson@railengineer.com.  The profile I use is a modified mechanical, but only such to change the layers, and turn off the selection and osnap filters.  The source files for all our system are configured to reside on each user's hard drive not the network(through a vault download).  This configuration has been uploaded to an account Autodesk created for me in Buzzsaw.  I have updated the video card drivers and up to SP1.  So far, the system still leaks memory.  Many times I have been able to point the finger at the Layers Manager Palette being open when I swap to open drawings (usually keep 2-5 drawings open at any time in 1 AutoCAD engine).  I have also discovered that even after you close all open drawings, AutoCAD (and Inventor for that matter), does not free the memory it used.  This means several times a day a 4gb machine would have to close and reopen the program to get better performance.  Lucky I have 12gb, but still I close the programs at least once a day to clear out wasted memory, that tends to drag the program.

jvj

jvj
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the error reports. I could see most of your crashes have been fixed in SP1. Also Can you let me know what OS you have and whether its a 32 Bit or a 64 Bit machine.

Can you also test the following suggestion. It is applicable for general performance issues with AutoCAD.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14898223&linkID=9240617

Also, please send us your system info file. You can fetch it from your machine as per the steps in the document below,

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7491145&linkID=9240617

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Tags (4)
Message 5 of 5

The above test issues don't apply becuase, 1. I don't use dynamic input (ever) its too slow even on this fast machine, to keep up with my command typing. 2. I would be crazy not to use hardware exceleration with this machine (the video card is huge, mostly heat sink and fans), so I've had that on at all times.

This machine is running 64bit Windows 7 with 12gb ram and an Intel i7 cpu.  Lol I can't attach an nfo file due to the discussion group rules, so rename the file when you get it (if you get it)... Ok I'm going to post it on my Autodesk sponsered Buzzsaw account, not here.

jvj

jvj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost