I need help in finding out what I am doing wrong. I use Autodesk Map 3D 2009 and I have been trying to plot a series of wells (In Bradford Co, PA) using the true longitude and latitude as they appear on the attached spreadsheet.
I started by creating a new drawing with UTM NAD83, Zone 18, Ft coordinates(desire system) and proceeded to create an ODC connection with the excel spreadsheet. Everything went as predicted. When the screen for adding data to the map came up, I tried to give it every associated system in the State of Pennsylvania with 0 success.
I really need help.
Thanks a million!!!
My spreadsheet is not attaching. Why?
Anyway, here is a short list of the coordinates:
This message is for Murph.
I received a message from you and tried to replay to it. It never went through.
The spreadsheet contains other information which I need to be bring in as an Object Data Table with the points. The spreadsheet originated as a report from the Pennsylvania Internet Record Imaging System (PA*IRIS). I went through every coordinate system offered by Autodesk(LL, LLNAD27, LLNad83, PA83 & PA27 (North & South, feet & meter) and nothing worked. I called the guy at PA*IRIS but he is out of the office for the week.
Is there a way I could send you the original spreadsheet and the plat of a well? I tried to attach the report to my original post but it did not work.
Thanks a million, Murph.
Do you happen to know how the coordinates were collected? Most GPS units work on a world datum like WGS 84. I think the following may work for you:
1. Create an empty drawing and set it to the WGS 84 datum, then import the points from the spreadsheet and save the drawing.
2. Now open whatever drawing you want the points to be in and attach the drawing you made in step one.
3. You should be able to query in the points from the attached drawing and have them display in your local coordinate system.
I worked on a similar issue before, and those steps worked out. The post is here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D/Workf
Hope that helps!
It looks like you are using the Longitude as West positive. Did you try LL83-WP or LL84-WP? If you want to be globally accurate, make all your Lats as a negative (-40.7773) in the excel spreadsheet and LL83 or LL84 should work.
If your wells are now in the correct area (county) but not in their correct location, then this may be due to two different reasons.
First, look to see if it's due to a datum shift. eg, the data is actually in LL27 and not LL83.
The other reason this shift may happen is from the units conversion (meters to feet, or something like that) from the process you used to import your points. If you used the OCDB FDO connection to import your points and in the process you translated the data from LL83 to UTM Zone17 NAD83, feet, you should try another method to see if that causes the same data shift. I've had some success with this method and haven't figured out the reason it works when it does. But here it is in case everything else fails you...
Open a new drawing file, set it to the coords of your excel file (LL83 or 84) and set the ACAD units to feet. Attach the excel file and insert it into your drawing. Save the data as an .sdf file and then use MAPIMPORT to insert the data into this drawing file. Remove the OCDB FDO link, save the drawing file and close it. Attach the drawing file to your Main drawing, and query in the well data.
I'd like to know what finally works for you, whether these processes do or not, since I have similar issues from stray data tha my bosses attach to emails and send me from time to time. So please keep me in the loop!
make all your Lats as a negative (-40.7773)
Well, Pennsylvania lays in the northern emisphere, so I guess the Lats must stay positive, sir.
Instead those longitudes, since laying at west of Greenwich, should be negative: