AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.shp feature labels wont plot

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
bmapper
1120 Views, 10 Replies

.shp feature labels wont plot

When I stylize a .shp file, and create a feature label, it displays just fine. However, when I try to plot it, the labels do not plot. I have tried different fonts, sizes, 'device space', 'map space', colors, backgrounds...basically, have changed all the different settings in the label stylizer. Still no difference. Anyone else come across this problem before?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
tjmapper
in reply to: bmapper

What version are you using?

If you are using 2009 and advanced labels I have had the same problem.

You can select multi-line label and it should plot.
Message 3 of 11
bmapper

I am using version 2009, and have tried switching from advanced placement to multiline, with the same results. Now, however, not only are the labels not printing, but the entire shape isnt printing in Paperspace. I just get a printout of my autocad objects, no shape objects.
Message 4 of 11
tjmapper

Welcome to the club.

As a joining member we have already sent out your complementary Stress ball in the shape of a Printer.

If you become a Premium member will we ship to you a Sound proof cubicle with Punching bag (Punching bag also shaped like a printer. HP and DELL models available). Sound proof so you can yell all those obscenities as loud as you like as you flog your printer with whatever you can find.

If you become a Platinum member we will solve your problem by telling you to try it in Map 2008 and send you an invite to our sweat lodge where will all hold hands and pray it is fixed in 2010.

haha, seriously just try it in map 2008. If it works in '08 i would just use it to avoid the hassle of '09.
Message 5 of 11
lduenweg

Same problem here only different. Get this - when I plot the shp file without the labels, it goes to the plotter with about 100kb of data. When I turned on the shp file labels (about 10 of them or 1kb of text) the plot file size jumped to 750mb. The plot takes about 40 minutes to actually print. So much for our GIS mapping system. If I use even half the labels the plot size would be several gigs in size.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

I am having the exact same problem. If I choose Advanced Placement it
will not plot the labels at all. If I choose Multi-line then I get way
to many labels. I'm trying to show the road names from our ESRI ArcSDE
database. Our GIS department has the annotation in their system, but
Map 3D cannot read it. Map 3D is almost worthless in regards to
plotting and using labels.
--
EB42
Civil 3D 2009 w/ SP2.1
Quad Core Xeon
(3)250GB SATA Drives
4GB RAM

brianmonk4516 wrote:
> When I stylize a .shp file, and create a feature label, it displays just
> fine. However, when I try to plot it, the labels do not plot. I have
> tried different fonts, sizes, 'device space', 'map space', colors,
> backgrounds...basically, have changed all the different settings in the
> label stylizer. Still no difference. Anyone else come across this
> problem before?
Message 7 of 11
brettd

ok, this is crazy. i have the same problem. it will print the labels when multiline labels are selected but not advanced placement. here's the kicker. another employee and myself have dell latitutde laptops, and we have the problem. however another employee has a dell desktop and it works fine, he can print with advanced labels and the labels show up. we have tried printing to a paper copier, dwf, pdf, dwg to pdf, and we can not get the advanced placement labels to show up.
Message 8 of 11
phmurphy

Ok, it sucks. But don't forget the old fashioned way of doing this. Import the shape into a separate dwg. Attach that dwg to your main dwg, then query the attribute label and be sure to use Center for location.
The drop down box in the "Define Text" part of the query process only offers .Labelpt and .centroid as options. I had to type .center in the left box.

Centroid gives you the mathematical centroid, not an internal point. Use .Center to return a point inside a closed polygon boundary. More retardedness, Why isn't .center in the dropdown box? Pure evil is my guess.

This is all so retarded compared to ArcMap, but then again ArcMap is retarded in other factors. Here is how it should work if you autodesk programmers are listening. You select a layer then click a command called label, then pick the attribute that should be used for the lable then pick from a list of fonts, colors, orientation bla bla bla. Done.
Message 9 of 11
yooper_75

After years of waiting, it looks like the problem has been addressed in Map 2011. This was the first thing I tried, and it worked flawlessly. Thanks programmer guys and gals...
M3D 2012 and 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
HP 8200 i7 - 16GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6350
Message 10 of 11
k5wagenevlt

How do you preform that particular query?  I have Auto CAD Civil 3D.  I am having a very similar issue labling my road text.  Once I switch to advanced placement only some of the road text is displayed.  

Message 11 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: k5wagenevlt

k5wagenevlt wrote:

How do you preform that particular query?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Map-3D/LABEL-OBJECT-DATA/m-p/3253310#M35543

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost