AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raster image memory limit

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ryan.beisaw
1159 Views, 7 Replies

raster image memory limit

I am trying to increase the memory limit to my raster options and it wont let me change the size. I have plenty of available memory(mb) to use, but after i restart civil 3d and go back to the same options menu, its back to what it was...

any ideas as to why?

memory.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
parkr4st
in reply to: ryan.beisaw

What are your system specs, 32 or 64 bit, version of C3D?

Message 3 of 8
ryan.beisaw
in reply to: parkr4st

we are running C3D 2011 and I have windows 7 64 bit with 16gb of ram.

I feel like I have done almost everything to enhance how c3d handles raster images and orthophotos but it still seems to have such a hard time.

I have a bunch of free memory so I thought as a last chance option increasing this raster memory would help a bit.

Message 4 of 8

Hi,

if you start Civil3D with right-click ==> "start as administrator" ==> then change the value, quit Civil3D and restart it again with the same way, does it then remember the value? If so then you have limited permissions, mire limited then good to work with Civil3D.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 8

nope that didnt work either! Thanks for the idea though!

Message 6 of 8

Hi,

the value is stored in the registry, try to double the value that is currently filled in:

HKCU/Software/Autodesk/AutoCAD/R19.0/ACAD-B000:407/Applications/AcMapRastUtils/Options/MemoryLimit

Be careful for the orange parts, they may be different depending on the version of Map3D you currently have.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 8
Murph_Map
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thatdialog and settings are misleading. You would think that the higher the number for the memory limits would allow better performance but its the opsite. Lower the number for better perfornace i handleing images. What that number, memory limits, is, is the amount of memory that Autocad has availalbe before it creates a swap file using memory from the operating system and/or hard drive. In other words if Civil3D reserves 2X of memory from your system and your project takes 1.5X then it only has 0.5X for the images and other functions. Setting the limit down will free the memory for Civil3D fuctions and create a swap file (use the hard drive) for the images instead of hogging what is available for civil3d functions.

Aslo if you do increase the number you can only go so far and not the total or close to the total of RAM you have. A few years back I had a good discussion with someone on the develop team as to how that number, limits, work and it was decided to lower it for better performance.

Don't forget that good house cleaning needs to be done as well, clean out the user temp folder(s) and you can even change the path to a different location and do a file delete on exit or startup. Hence the location section in the dialog.

Lets us know if lowering the number gives you better performance.  🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 8 of 8
ryan.beisaw
in reply to: Murph_Map

alright, ill give it a try. thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost