AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems editing 3d shapefile

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
crispin1
532 Views, 6 Replies

problems editing 3d shapefile

Hi, I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction with this please?

I am trying to edit a (polyline) shapefile in map3d.  I can successfully connect to the data source.

Problem 1 - selection

• In 3d view (as selected from the status bar) none of the shapefile objects are selectable.
  • In 2d view the objects are selectable, but if the display port is rotated to anything other than a plan (top) view, then selections are flaky.  The correct object is highlighted as I hover the mouse over, but when I click, handles seem to appear for a different object altogether.  How can I select more accurately the correct object?

Problem 2 - editing

• Once an object is selected, how do I move points either in z or perpendicular to the display?

Many thanks, C.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
antoniovinci
in reply to: crispin1

Answer 1]

Type _UCS then double Enter, and try again.

Answer 2]

As source point, type 

then as destination point, type

@0,0,z

where "z" is the relative height you wanna change (positive or negative).

For instance,

@0,0,15 

will raise the selected objects 15 drawing units to the positive Z, whilst

@0,0,0-15

will lower 'em 15 towards the negative Z.

Message 3 of 7
crispin1
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks Antonio

typing _UCS enter enter seems to set me to a world coordinate system, but world is already set - so that doesn't change anything.  In 2d mode the selection problem is the same and in 3d mode I still can't select anything at all.

A related problem is that I find it difficult to use 3d orbit to navigate my model.  Is there a way to manually set a target object before an orbit operation?  Otherwise my work tends to disappear off screen.  I know it's meant to use the display centre as a target but this doesn't seem to be happening (perhaps because my objects are some way off the ground plane?)

With respect to setting z coordinates, I need some kind of interactive move/snap for points.  Is there some way to make the xyz move gizmo appear for points within my polyline shapefile?

Thanks again

Crispin

Message 4 of 7
crispin1

I am beginning to think that "connect to data source" does not work for 3d editing - perhaps the best way is to import to autocad shapes then export afterwards.

However, using the shapefile map import/export tools, elevation (z) data seems to be lost on the round trip into and out of autocad.  Is there any fix for this?

Message 5 of 7
braudpat

Hello from France

Since a long time ago, you can with MAPEXPORT export 3D Infos to ESRI Shape File ...

BUT you have to go to the "Options" Tab (of MAPEXPORT) then "Driver Options" and select "3D Shape"

It works fine with 3D Points, 2D Plines with an Elevation and 3D Plines ... I never need more ...

And with MAPIMPORT you will get back automatically the 3D Infos ...

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Murph_Map

@crispin1 wrote:

I am beginning to think that "connect to data source" does not work for 3d editing - perhaps the best way is to import to autocad shapes then export afterwards.

However, using the shapefile map import/export tools, elevation (z) data seems to be lost on the round trip into and out of autocad.  Is there any fix for this?

As far as I know, you are correct. Data Connect is not 3D other than drapping with a raster connection. Instead of Map3D it should be Map2-1/2 D.

Years ago I posted one example on my blog on how to do some 3D. 

http://map3d.wordpress.com/2009/08/17/putting-3d-back-in-map3d/

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 7
crispin1
in reply to: braudpat

Thanks Pat - that fixes it! So to anyone checking this in future - my workflow is, import shapefile (being careful to import object data too), edit, export shapefile (being careful to select 3d driver and object data). Solved.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost