AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with exporting lines to shapefile

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
MKH-VB
570 Views, 9 Replies

problem with exporting lines to shapefile

i have an autocad map file, with plines representing water lines. I am exporting this water line layer to shp.  I can import this shp to arcgis just fine. Problem is, when I want to add a field to this shapefile, it then gives me the error that number of shapes does not match the number of table records. Can any body tell me what might be going on? This exported shp file displays fine, until I add a new field. Can't figure out what might be happening. Any help willl be greatly appreciated.

mkh
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
braudpat
in reply to: MKH-VB

Hello

Please we are speaking about which release of AutoCAD MAP ?

And with which SP ?

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
MKH-VB
in reply to: braudpat

autocad map 2014

version 1.18.0.0

mkh
Message 4 of 10
MKH-VB

a quick update on this issue. When exporting from map to shp: If I don't select any attributes under the data tab, ArcGIS will not let me create new fields, but if I do export with some attributes, ArcGIS will allow me to edit and add fields. WEIRD.
mkh
Message 5 of 10
braudpat

Hello

Just a quick idea !

Have you installed the SP 2 on your MAP 2014 ?

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-map-3d/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-autoc...

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
braudpat

Hello

2nd idea : if you restrict your OD table names & OD field names to ONLY maximum 11 characters and with ONLY chars like: A-Z , 0-9 , _ , -  )

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Pat,

>> maximum 11 characters

I guess it's 10 char limited.

You might look to that site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapefile and within the chapter "Data Storage" you can see:

Maximum length of field names is 10 characters

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 8 of 10
braudpat
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hello Alfred - Thks

You are RIGHT !

The maximum is 10 (Ten) characters, I was thinking a little bit too much about old CPM / DOS / Win 3.1 filenames = 8.3 characters !?

Waiting for MKH-VB ...

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
parkr4st

the problem is related to indexing and empty dbf records vs # of shp records.

well known and talked about.

put this in google   number of shapes does not match the number of table records

You will find all sorts of info

here   >>  http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/17791  at bottom to here >>

http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=10806

may fix the problem

Message 10 of 10
antoniovinci

Please zip the SHP/DBF/SHX/PRJ files and upload here the compressed result, thx.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost