AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Greg-Linguey
Message 1 of 3 (369 Views)

problem with Nearmap image file & correct coordinate system

369 Views, 2 Replies
09-17-2013 07:46 PM

Nearmap has provided an aerial image georeferenced in the same coord system as Google Earth (epsg:3785).  I found a Map 3D coordinate system WGS84.PseudoMercator (epsg:3857) which on web forums is equivalent to epsg:3785.  After loading the image into a dwg on the epsg:3857 coord system I then queried the image into a dwg file on an mga55 gda94 coord datum.

It rotated the image correctly but as we had survey located features in the drawing the image needed to be shifted a further 1.75 metres SW than the transformation that Map had performed.

My question is can anyone confirm that the Map epsg:3857 is indeed the same as epsg:3785?  Given I had to shift the image I suspect it isn't.

Nearmap have also suggested using an epsg:900913 coord datum but there isn't one in Map 3D.

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 3 (351 Views)

Re: problem with Nearmap image file & correct coordinate system

09-18-2013 12:43 AM in reply to: Greg-Linguey

You can compare the EPSG contents here: as you can see in the "Retrieve code" report, the 3785 refers only to New Zealand.

About EPSG:900913 it's a funny way to portray the official EPSG:3857, check this out:

9 => G

0 => O

0 => O

9 => G

1 => L

3 => E

Greg-Linguey
Message 3 of 3 (322 Views)

Re: problem with Nearmap image file & correct coordinate system

09-19-2013 06:06 PM in reply to: antoniovinci

Thank you for the reply.  I went to the link & it is interesting that epsg:3785 only applies to the south island of New Zealand.  From correspondence with Nearmap & the image name (starts with epsg_3785) this is the datum they are using.  I would assume that Nearmap would know what they are doing but as our imagery is based on the south-east coast of Australia it might not be the correct datum to be using.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community