AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

osnap pick prioritizing.

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
stevedb
1307 Views, 22 Replies

osnap pick prioritizing.

morning all.

In selecting a point in a drawing to connect new poly lines to existing objects, is there a way to set the order to which osnap elements are used?

I have perhaps 1/2 of the osnap element settings activated. End point, Mid point, Node, Intersection, etc......

When I go to select, it's like everything EXCEPT End Point is recognizing. And while I can go to right click, and select end point, I am now wondering, if besides the rt click, there is a way to preset the priority, or order in which the osnap elements recognize the type.

Without restting the settings each time.

TGIF.

I hope this is clear. If not, please let me know.

TYIA.

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
antoniovinci
in reply to: stevedb

Never heard about the ability of sequencing the snap order..

Why don't you simply switch off the Osnap feature (toggle F3) and choose what you desire with SHIFT-RIGHT on objects? 

Message 3 of 23
stevedb

Good morning AV.

I had done that in the past. It finally got on my nerves, so I stopped.

Message 4 of 23
smvest
Message 5 of 23
thepworth

or you could try setting your F# keys as in the following thread:  http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?32028-Autosnap-priorities.  I don't know anyway to say 1) endpt 2) mid ..... x) nearest  would be a cool feature.  perhaps you should post to the AUGI wishlist - the top 10 frequently get addressed as "hot items" for the next release - if you're voted highest you might even get an AU pass...

Personally I use shift-right click + the keyboard hotkey for the selection menu

Message 6 of 23
stevedb
in reply to: thepworth

Interesting.

It appearsthere's a lot of irritation and discussion on this idea.

I did not know about osmode before. I checked mine, and it's set to 2185, and there's nothing about 2185 in the list  on the docs page. I have however printed it out, and will keep it handy for now.

Looking at the information I printed, I'm curious it this is like selecting color shading by rgb #'s.

C....u...r....i....u....o.....s..... indeed.

Thank you.

Message 7 of 23
thepworth

I haven't tried select by RGB colors, but some of the new commands are 2010 - SelectSimilar (available from right click) and 2011 - AddSelected

Note, only if you type in the command for "Selectsimilar" do you get a chance to use SEttings - which allows you to say similar based on color, layer, linetype, linetype scale, lineweight, plot style, object style, or name.  the "Color" setting does not drill down to RGB versus ACAD named/numbered & I haven't tried it with a "true color" shaded object.

Doesn't do much for OS prioritizing, but it is something useful.

Message 8 of 23
stevedb

The selecting of rgb colors was in older AutoCAD versions that I'd used.

I seldom used it, because I'm lousy with colors. I failed kindergarten because I liked 5 colors, and hated lines. Smiley Tongue

But, every so often I'll get in, tinker around, and find something I like.

That said, My main goal was to get an undesired osnap object to be ignored, and having to right click, do the movement of the cursor seemed too tedious.

However, as my f# keys are already programmed, I don't like the idea of programming them any more than the basics.

I think at this point I'll need to play around with osmode and see what it does. What surprises me about it so far is that when I called it up, it asked for a new number, and not knowing what the choices were, I went looking on the docs page. After I'd found it, I notice it has a series of base 2 choices (0, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.... to 8192, and 16383- which also is not base 2). As 2158 is not base two, I was surprised, and the rgb memories flooded through my mind.

Message 9 of 23
thepworth

I think that the way it goes is that it takes the sum of the values for each option selected from 

0 NONe
1 ENDpoint
2 MIDpoint
4 CENter
8 NODe
16 QUAdrant
32 INTersection
64 INSertion
128 PERpendicular
256 TANgent
512 NEArest
1024 QUIck
2048 APParent Intersection
4096 EXTension
8192 PARallel

So if you enable END (1) + MID (2) + Per (128) the OSMODE value would then be 131 - which is why you loose the base 2 form...

Message 10 of 23
stevedb

ok. I get it now..... doh!

The Osmode number I got was 2185, not 2158.... I hate transposing numbers.

So, my selection to get me there is

1 end

8 node

128 perpendicular

2048 apparent intersection.

ta-da......

so, if I go in, and set my osmode, by selecting my summed valued choices, that will keep me going.

I see however I cannot do so while I am in an active line, or polyline action. Which takes me back to the right click, and select routine. Well, hey. I now know one more thing than I did two hours ago.

thank you. Again.....

Message 11 of 23
Murph_Map

I've been watching this thread to see how far it gets off the orginal question. There is a thing called cycleing but if you think right-click is to much then so is that. Back when I had users that didn't like the osnap and using it I create a simple macro or lisp to set it as needed then reset it back after they finished drawing the line or what ever.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 12 of 23
stevedb
in reply to: Murph_Map

ok Murph.

since you said it.... lets have this cycling thing.

At this point, I'm sufficiently intrigued, and ready for new stuff that I figure that knowing is better than just being told there's another toy, but you won't like it.

So, please...

go for it.

TYIA.

Message 13 of 23
thepworth

What! we never wander off topic.... oh, wait where was I...

Say, if i mentally have to subtract out the highest & work my way down from the base 2 settings for osmode, think the software has to process the same way?  would be strange but...

Also, I recall LDD days where the software was notorious for disabling Osnaps, but not renabling when the routine completed or if it crashed... If we have priority for inferring constraints, why not for osnaps????

Message 14 of 23
Murph_Map

@stevedb wrote:

ok Murph.

since you said it.... lets have this cycling thing.

At this point, I'm sufficiently intrigued, and ready for new stuff that I figure that knowing is better than just being told there's another toy, but you won't like it.

So, please...

go for it.

TYIA.

Press the TAB key when it asks for the point.

http://autocad.autodesk.com/?nd=autocad_tips_tutorials_detail&adsk_tip_id=942

Murph
Message 15 of 23
thepworth

Sweet!  learned something new!

Message 16 of 23
Murph_Map

@thepworth wrote:

Sweet!  learned something new!

And to think I didn't have to bill you for it.

Maybe that's why I'm sitting here eating a frozn pizza for supper instead of a home cook meal.

Murph
Message 17 of 23
stevedb

Ok, I must be missing something.

I click the tab button and it cycles back and forth from the distance to the angle.

ok... I just did it again, this time overlying an endpoint, and I began to see where it appears to cycle through the active osnap elements. Is this what you're talking about?

definitely-- you should be enjoying a homecooked meal. Eating frozen pizza will catch up to you in your 40's and 50's.

Message 18 of 23
thepworth

I suppose you have dynamic input enabled - try turning it off from the buttons on the bottom of the screen

Message 19 of 23
thepworth

Here's the local brew to go with your pizza... 😉
Message 20 of 23
Murph_Map

@stevedb wrote:

ok... I just did it again, this time overlying an endpoint, and I began to see where it appears to cycle through the active osnap elements. Is this what you're talking about?

definitely-- you should be enjoying a homecooked meal. Eating frozen pizza will catch up to you in your 40's and 50's.

Yes, the osnap cycleing. Told ya you may not like it.

I'm past those numbers already 🙂

Murph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost