AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

map legend

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
LMieth
2637 Views, 17 Replies

map legend

I have been trying to work the tutorials and when trying to create a map legend I do not get the same options. I am in the Planning and Analysis workspace as is the tutorial. I am instructed to select Tools  on the Display Manager tab and select create legend, which I see work in the tutorial. However, when I select Tools creat legend is not available. I don't even see it grayed. Other options shown in the tutorial also are not there for me when I select tools. Welcoming any help. I am new to map 3d.

Thanks

Linda Mieth

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: LMieth

Hi,

what AutoCAD Map3D version do you have? ... as the option how legends work changed with release 2013 and so might differ to what you see in the tutorials.

Beginning with 2013 you should (have to) place the legends in the paperspace, so just change to a layout (in paperspace) and see how the ribbon changes to give you the option for creating a legend. Click onto that button, then select the viewport for which the legend should belong to and that's it.

Up to 2012 there was only one legend valid (without tricks) and that has to be in modelspace. The button to create the legend there is found in the Map-Workspace (see screenshot, sorry that this is a German one, but the position is equal to that in English Map3D)

2013-08-13 08-50-49.png

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 18
LMieth

I am using 2014. On the paperspace layout tab with the viewport highligted and I select Tools on the Display Manager in the Task Pane. The list contains as follows:

Query to filter data (gray)

Search to select feature (selectable)

Export Layer Data to SDF (gray)

Export Layer Data to SQlite (gray)

View Metadata (selectable)

Show threshold (selectable)

Show library (selectable)

It does not list Pulbish to Infrastructure Map Server, Creat Legend, create contour layer,Save Current Map to AutoCAD, or View Map Properites; all of which are listed in the tutorial. I seem to be missing something.

Thanks

Linda

Message 4 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Linda,

I guess we speak about different ribbons. If you change from modelspace to layout there should be the context-ribbon "Layout-Tools" active (hopefully translated correct) and that looks in my German version like that:

2013-08-13 15-24-46.png

(the arrow shows to the legend-button)

You don't have to switch to any ribbon as AutoCAD Map does it by itself (always when a layout is active and you are in paperspece).

>> I select Tools on the Display Manager in the Task Pane

That was the way how it worked until 2012, but not with 2013 or 2014.

(sorry that my translation of that menu-items is quite limited as I don't have an English version of Map3D installed, so my translation is something like guessing how Autodesk would have called that in English).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 18
LMieth

I tried to attach a picture. The tools list in the task pane on the left is mine, the tools list in the task pane on the right is from the tutorial. I am sorry if I do not explain this well, but if you can see it I do not have as many options listed. I do see Legend referenced on my layout tools ribbon. So I guess the tutorial is using a different version and that is why the options are different? I am not missing anything?

Thanks

Linda

Message 6 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> the tools list in the task pane on the right is from the tutorial

As mentioned above ... that is Map3D 2012 (or older)

>> if you can see it I do not have as many options listed

Yes, you have a newer Map3D version and most of what you are missing is to be found (with more functionality) in the ribbons.

>> So I guess the tutorial is using a different version and that is why the options are different?

>> I am not missing anything?

Absolutely correct 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 18
LMieth

Thanks for your guidance,all is new and when instruction doesn't work right it can leave you a little unsure.

Linda

Message 8 of 18
stephane.aubertin

I try to do the tuturial for Map 2014. I don't see the Create legend to. To have the contextual menu i must be in paper space. Is it impossiblen to create a legenf in the model space ? If it is the tutorial is incorrect.

Stephane A. Aubertin
Responsable - traitement de l'information (gestion des espaces)
Service de la planification et des projets immobiliers
HEC Montréal
www.hec.ca
Message 9 of 18

Hi,

>> Is it impossiblen to create a legenf in the model space ? If it is the tutorial is incorrect.

You can't create a legend in the modelspace any more and that makes sense, otherwise you can't create different maps side by side in one layout with each having it's legend.

And to be honest, a legend has it's place in the paperspace and not in the modelspace ... like titleblocks, comments, ...

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 18

Alfred,

I used one for the first time today, took some effort of try and fail. Nonetheless, when I got all the styles tweaked, saved my legend style, I had one to revert back to for future maps...could use some more tools for tweaking the looks of them. I had to use a background color, should be option of NONE. It would be nice to have rounded corners for BORDERS to match our company sheet borders...just to name a few things.

Thanks for your input, very useful!

I wouldn’t have used it without finding your post reply so great job.

Tom

Openwheeler

"If you don’t build your dream someone will hire you to help build theirs."
-Tony Gaskins
Message 11 of 18

Hi,

you're very welcome! Thank's a lot for your kind words, and good to know you got it running (with just a few posts here as info, great 😉 ).

Anyway I can't do anything for rounded corners, so AUGI has a wishlist, maybe you add it to the list.

Just for info: there are some XML-files for legend styles in that directory (for Map3D 2015)

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\Map\Sample\LegendStyles

You might look into that XML and create you own ones 😉

Happy Mapping, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 18
parkr4st
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

mapcreatelegend is the command in case you can't find the fancy stuff

Dave

Message 13 of 18
Openwheeler
in reply to: parkr4st

Smiley HappyAlways LOVE the Old-School Key-In's!

Thank you Dave

Openwheeler

-Tony Gaskins
Message 14 of 18
Murph_Map
in reply to: Openwheeler

@Openwheeler wrote:

Smiley HappyAlways LOVE the Old-School Key-In's!

Thank you Dave

Old school as in the brickyard. 🙂 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 15 of 18
Openwheeler
in reply to: Murph_Map

Smiley Very HappyThat's right Murph!

Good to hear from you...Grand Prix of Indianapolis was awesome, now for the Indy 500.

Hit me in July if you can make it this year.

Openwheeler

-Tony Gaskins
Message 16 of 18
Murph_Map

@Openwheeler wrote:

Smiley Very HappyThat's right Murph!

Good to hear from you...Grand Prix of Indianapolis was awesome, now for the Indy 500.

Hit me in July if you can make it this year.

Will do but if I get time off (take time off) it will be spent parked next to the lake with the camper. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 17 of 18

Here is my issue with the command...get out of file, get back in and goes back to default settings every time.

(see attachments)

Openwheeler

-Tony Gaskins
Message 18 of 18
Openwheeler

Check that...every time I go from MS to PS it reverts back to Default...they sure didn't spend a lot of time or money getting these "Layout Elements" to function correctly! They need help in a bad way.
Openwheeler

-Tony Gaskins

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost