AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linking up a reciever to show position on an autocad drawing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
adamjedgar
419 Views, 4 Replies

linking up a reciever to show position on an autocad drawing

Hi guys,

i have no idea where to put this so i hope someone can help.

i wish to set up a mobile reciever device that can integrate with an autocad dwg drawing to show my physical location in the real world as a point on the drawing screen in real time. 

I guess you would say it would work exactly the same way a GPS map works however instead of using the GPS and street map i would be substituting in a construction site base station and autocad drawing.

the point of reference would be located on a known point on the site (ie survey marker).

any ideas?

kind regards

adam

p.s the "Leica" system will not do the job for me. from my search so far it mainly works with elevations rather than lateral positioning in real time. i do not want to have to constantly move emitters and or receivers on the worksite in order to track my movements in real time and display them on the cad drawing i have in front of me!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: adamjedgar

I've never heard about a third-party extension to interface Autocad to a GPS.

For free, here's a couple of workarounds:

1] _MAPEXPORT your linework to shapefiles, then you load them in an opensource supporting realtime GPS (e.g. Mapwindow Gis)

2] export somehow your drawing to .KML format, then you load it in Google Earth, which fully supports realtime GPS 

Message 3 of 5
adamjedgar
in reply to: antoniovinci

i cant use gps its not accuracte enough. i need accuracy of not more than +/-20mm or less than 1 inch. thats why im thinking of an onsite emitter base station. it could use radio waves, laser or infra red in order to determine the receiver distance from the base station. the receiver position then needs to be displayed in autocad drawing file as a dot or crosshair or something like that.

Message 4 of 5
thepworth

I haven't seen real-time interfacing with AutoCAD, but you can work with a "Georeferenced DWF" and Design Review (free dwf viewer).  If it's not in the tutorials, look for "georeferenced dwf" as a skillbuilder.  DR can query a comm port for I/O from a receiver, so as long as your positioning can be pushed in the right format to a laptop it should work.

Best of Luck & let us know if it works....

Message 5 of 5
GBGB1360

It should be possible to develop some type of plug-in for this. What is the format of the data emitted by your device? The idea is to have an interpreterwithin the plug-in  that can generate (X,Y,Z) from the device data and diaplay positions in time intervals. Sounds doable.

Gabriel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost