AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labels missing in rotated viewports

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
amm30165
2090 Views, 16 Replies

labels missing in rotated viewports

Using Map 2013.

It seems that when a viewport is rotated more that 45 degrees in paperspace, the labels disappear.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
       System Model: 6075CTO
               BIOS: Lenovo ThinkCentre BIOS Ver 2RKT38.0
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4500  @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs)
             Memory: 3062MB RAM
          Page File: 494MB used, 5501MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Alicia
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: amm30165

Hi,

can you give us more details?

• What datasource do you use?
  • Are the "labels" you mentioned labels of any loaded gis-data or just text-objects (plan AutoCAD TEXT or MTEXT)?
  • Have you rotated the viewport or twisted the view within the viewport? (and what happens if you try the other way of these two possibilities)

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 17
amm30165
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for the reply.

I use mapwspace task pane display manager to connect the shp files and style and label using feature label expressions. 

I usually try present any maps with north oriented straight up but occasionally have to rotate a viewport (in paperspace).  I have noticed that the feature labels disappear when the viewport is rotated or if I click into the modelspace of the viewport and use dview - twist to get a rotation.  I no longer use the latter method since simply rotating the viewport itself is much simpler.

I was surprised that the feature  labels disappeared.

Also, if I rotate the viewport back to it's original north straight up on the paper, the labels reappear.

It usually takes a rotation of more thatn 30-45 degrees when the labels disappear.

Alicia
Message 4 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

Check the attachment. I created a video showing that my labels work as I suggested they should do.

If you see anything what I'm doing in another way (I know that I don't rotate my viewport), let me know or try it by yourself if my way works on your system.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 17
amm30165
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

Thanks for the suggestion and attached video in your reply. What I had done was the same type of data connect and styling; only the rotation method differed.  There is always more than one way to do most any task.

I used your method and got the same results.  As I rotated the view, the lines and labels got very chunky looking, like large pixels then when I stopped the rotation, the labels were gone.

It seems like maybe my computer cannot keep up with the process.

Alicia
Message 6 of 17
phil_borycens

Hi Alicia,

I did some testing on a polygon shapefile, trying a DVIEW - TWIST at angles of 10, 15, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, and 60 (it didn't take too long Man Happy) and my labels were always maintained. Attached is a screenshot of the highest angle I tested (60 degrees) -- the labels are starting to become hard to read, but they still display.

DVIEW in Viewports.PNG

Hopefully with the tips from the other users and some settings tweaking on your end you are able to solve this issue. Thanks!

Phil Borycens
Message 7 of 17
amm30165
in reply to: phil_borycens

I have tried 3 methods: dview-twist, the wheel and simply rotating a viewport.  The result was the same with each method; the labels disappeared completely at around 45 degrees, clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation.

I will post a reply if the issue resolves itself when I get a new computer and the try the 64-bit Map 3D 2013.

Many thanks to all who offered suggestions!

Alicia
Message 8 of 17
LyleHardin

I know this is an old thread, but the same is happening to me in Map3D 2015.

Parcel Labels seem to work just fine, but the Street Labels disappear after 40+ degrees.

Frustrating because I'm doing a strip map. Baffling because I would go into Modelspace and everything is fine, then in paperspace all my street lables are gone. After reading this thread I made a new viewport and the street lables were there. As I rotated the view, they disappeard after about 40 degrees.

Message 9 of 17
amm30165
in reply to: LyleHardin

I have tried to resolve this time and time again. Like you, as soon as I rotate in the viewport, the labels are gone. I connect to data from ArcMap every day so it would be nice if this was not an issue.
Thanks for your input 🙂
Alicia
Message 10 of 17
LyleHardin

Misery loves company...

I'm just glad I saw your posts. At least I know what's going on now.

My workaround has been to make my strip map vertical. That way I only have to rotate the view about 20 degrees.

It just happens to work in this case, but I'm sure it won't be useful in every case.  My neck is going to get tired today from looking sideways at my screen...

Have you noticed the problem is only with some labels and not others? For instance my Road labels don't show up, but my Parcel labels do.

Message 11 of 17
phil_borycens

Thanks for "reactivating" this thread. Although I was not able to reproduce this issue when I tested it, I wanted to share a suggestion from one of my colleagues that seems to help when labels do not appear:

1. In Display Manager, select the layer and right-click and choose Save Layer.

2. Open the layer file in a text editor. Search for <AddToExclusionRegion> and if its value is true, change to false. Save the changes.

3. Remove the existing layer in Display Manager, then choose Data > Load Layer to load the updated layer.

Is there any difference?

Phil Borycens
Message 12 of 17
j.comeau
in reply to: phil_borycens

I have spoken with Autodesk techs and this is a KNOWN bug that is very well documented and has been a part of MAP3D since its inception and is still not fixed even in version 2016.  WTF!  That's 7 years sitting on a major bug in their software.  Why do we buy and use Autodesk software?  It's ALWAYS broken.

Message 13 of 17
Designer2060
in reply to: j.comeau

I totally agree, but they have a good portion of our lives invested in their products. Would you care to fix everything with an asset base like that? Of course not! You would keep selling the same thing as many times as you could. So get over it. I get the same bug in vanilla AutoCAD 2015. I tried rotating my viewport instead of dview, thinking i could fool it. However at around 70-80 degress, I lose all hatches, patterns, and many objects and blocks disappear from the viewport. When I check the dview angle, I get an absurd value of 795 degrees. That's not even real. There are only 360 degrees. So yes it's a bug. What can be done? I this case. I just used a negative dview angle and just flipped my text. It's not really the direction I wanted, but it works and the objects display fine. Don't let them stop you! 🙂
Message 14 of 17

This can be a workaround use convert label to text. this is no best practice but ...

simon noyola

Message 15 of 17

Message 16 of 17
MGO-Norsyn

Well, it is 2021 and I am still experiencing this issue...

Message 17 of 17
mlopez

having the same issue, except I'm labeling leaner GIS objects such as existing underground utilities. Will have to create vertical exhibit cut sheets for long inner city roadway project. Frustrating.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost