AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

just got 2012... what the....?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
stevedb
449 Views, 8 Replies

just got 2012... what the....?

Morning all.

our IT people just installed Map3D, 2012 on my system last Friday, and upon my return yesterday, man.... what in the world did I walk into.....

They did a new install, instead of an upgrade. I had 2009 before, and everything there now appears to be completely gone.

3 things right off the top that are a little weird, or something is wrong....

The grip edits are different. It appears there is now a grip edit in the middle of a polyline segment, and it acts to stretch, or do a couple of other things. I suppose it's only confusing when one has a highly involved polyline. And for our work, we do... a lot of them!

Next, I'm noticing that once I convert lines and arcs into a polygon, it will not show that there is an area in the properties. I do get that there is an error and that I have numerous polygons which the properties are unreadable. The polygon is closed. I've even had a couple of boundary objects I've made from polygons show up with a zero area.

Oh, the next one is that when I go to increase the size of the aperture window, nothing changes. If anything does change, it appears to grow smaller, not larger. And while my eyes may indeed be growing older.... this is not a depth perception problem.

any ideas?

Your helps are appreciated.... immensely so!!

TYIA

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
stevedb
in reply to: stevedb

ok, just figured out the aperture sizing. I suppose it's been so long since I'd last set it I'd forgotten, or maybe they actually have changed it.

To increase the aperture size, one has to open options, select the selection tab, and the first item, upper left, pickbox sizing, change it with that. I'd remembered doing this under the drafting tab, for the aperture.

1 down, two to go.

Message 3 of 9
thepworth

some of what you're seeing was added with 2011 - such as the new intermediate grips - for base/vanilla ACAD.  you might look up Lynn Allen's "tips & tricks" for 2011 /2012 to see what's been added to AutoCAD & hence Map3D....

Message 4 of 9
stevedb
in reply to: thepworth

cool. Will do....

sadly, Pinky finds out a little too late that taking over the world means paying all the bills of everyone who can't afford to pay their own, and he goes broke.... leaving him a broke, lonely, bitter old dictator with no one to play with..... leaving him with the question..... where did I put my brain.....

Message 5 of 9
stevedb

Any ideas on the no area value for PolylineEdit edited polygons?

Message 6 of 9
thepworth

you got me there - I haven't seen that yet - I'm back in the c3d production world, but was providing tech support for map2011 & 2010.  might help if you post a screen shot of the properties dialog box / desktop to show what you're referring to....  others might have a better idea than I....  sorry 😞

Message 7 of 9
stevedb

that's what I was thinking too. Ok, first 3 images show each individual polygon, and the property window, with the area.

The lower right image shows all three, edited together, using trim to remove common edges, then polylineedit>multiple>join>close.

As can be seen-- the length is readily visible, but there is no area. And, as is common for all 3 individual PLG's, they are all closed.

I have never seen this before yesterday, and I've been using Map3D since February 2006, when we had Map2006. And I'd used AutoCAD since 2002.

I then tried BO for a boundary object, and the first one gave me the same-- no area. The subsequent uses of BO appear ok.

Map2012Error-Area.JPG

Message 8 of 9
thepworth

????? ?????  - I haven't seen that before either.  

I would think that as a CAD object it would autopopulate - it's not a GIS feature, so you're not manually filling a database. 

temporary measure - you should be able to get an area if you fill in the the resulting closed polyline with a hatch - or does that not work?  regardless, you shouldn't have to go that route.

I'd go the route of filing a support request through either subscription center or with your reseller. 

Hopefully, someone with more 2012 experience can enlighten us.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin 

Message 9 of 9
stevedb

yea.

I'm hoping that it doesn't mean I have to go through a reinstall. While I've only been using it since yesterday morning (meaning very limited customization), I hate reinstalls.

I've used hatches before to do areas, but not for this reason.... let's see.............................

yep, hatch works to get area.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost