AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
siddharthsingh199199
313 Views, 10 Replies

help

to learn autocad map 3D..is it necessary to learn autocad?

if yes then what are the areas that one should concentrate while learning autocad?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

1. to learn Autocad Map, you don't need to know plain Autocad: you have to know geography and/or cartography, sir
  2. moreover, study database fundaments
  3. as last advice, in plain Autocad you should train paperspace theory to create clever maps
Message 3 of 11

thanks for the info...i am a graduate in geology...could you please tell me which software would be better for my field?

Message 4 of 11

I say yes, you need to learn AutoCAD. If you can't draw lines, circles, arcs or plines you will have a hard time creating new features. Areas to concentrate on would be text/mtext, object snaps, blocks and attributes, scale factors and plotting. then there is hatching and solid fill along with line types and all the different styles and fonts. Then comes the paper space and model space as to what goes into what, now throw in external references and images.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 11

thankyou for help..learning autocad from a professional source will be necessary before going for autocad map 3D?

i want to know this because the cost to learn these software from an authorised centres is pretty expensive...

Message 6 of 11

Hi,

I think it depends on what you want/need to do with AC Map. You can - without AC knowledge - use many of the GIS features. Adding a ESRI shape file and creating a basic themed map is pretty easy and the dialogues are not difficult to understand.

But then - if you need to create a print out your map in a certain scale things are not that easy anymore and you have to deal with AC functionality. For this a good understanding of AC basics is required (otherwise you will get lost quickly).

As far as I know there are two or three books for AC Map available - costing less than 100$. Maybe a good investment to get a feeling for Map and what can be done with it.

Don't know if you as geologist need a more specialized software - AC and AC Map are quite generic tools. Have a look around which extensions from Autodesk partners are available for geologists.

Good Luck,

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 7 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: Murph_Map

Credits to you, Murph, but I think the OP should not waste time on learning 'vanilla' Autocad for the following good reasons:

1. a Map user almost never draws anything from scratch
  2. in the Gis environment you rather process existing official data, no room for own "fantasy" editings
  3. one main goal of a Map drawing is to publish (on paper or file) a thematic artwork, and to do this, you won't use normal hatches or texts, but special Map tools
  4. another important goal is to export Gis file for further analysis, and again, you do it only with Map skill.

Recapitulating, Autocad Map is like a car, while plain Autocad is its engine: you can drive without any knowledge of mechanics.
Honestly said: if you know the engine, you'd be able to repair a fail and carry on driving...

Message 8 of 11

Absolutely learn basic drafting and all of the items Murph lists.  As a forester I work at adding data to maps drawn from scratch over aerial phoptos daily as none exists for forest typing and zoning laws, etc for the part of the world I work in.   I also use all of the drafted work as *.shp in the GPS unit daily when  I am in the forest and I use the GPS data collection to import data back into map where I draft and add data as needed.  The hardest part of Autocad for me is the paper space/ scale ca\oncept which in some peoples minds is vital to survival.  Learn it because someone always has to measure your work with a ruler instead of working in a relative manner with a GPS unit or survey instrument on the surface of the globe.

The tutorials are good to start with. There are many good books with exercises that will get you through the basics in weekend if you are diligent. 🙂

Dave

Message 9 of 11
Murph_Map
in reply to: antoniovinci

@antoniovinci wrote:

Credits to you, Murph, but I think the OP should not waste time on learning 'vanilla' Autocad for the following good reasons:

Some one has to create all the data and geography for the GIS Analysis to use. AutoCAD has more actuate tool than any other software I have seen to do it. Now for fixing the engine, how many times does MAP3D need it's engine fixed. 🙂

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 10 of 11

One of my first jobs as a drafter, many years ago, was to draw many, many geologic maps. Even though there are now countless mountains of GIS data in this world, there isn't necessarily data for the area you might wish to map as a geologist, especially if it's remote. Are you an exploration geologist or one who works in a specific field or area?

My husband started off as an minerals exploration geologist with a specialty in sedimentology and now designs acid gas injection wells and does hydrology. The profession takes you many places and,as you know, sometimes you need to make your own map. He learned to draw his field maps by hand and gradually switched to Autocad to do the basic work and produce his maps. He learned the basics of Autocad drafting, and it increased his map production speed. Presently he uses ArcGIS and Autocad as well as other mapping software. If you use Map3D you will want to be able to integrate all of the data into a neat, professional map or illustration. The drafting tools help you put it all together so your cartography can stand out.

There are many tutorials on the net to watch, or, I imagine there are used books out there that might be only a couple of versions "old". One of his best professors always said, "If you can't be right, be pretty." A well-drawn map conveys the essence of geology.

So, yes, take the time to learn the basics of Autocad and to read The Visual Display of Quantitative Information by Dr.. Tufte to really make your efforts stand out. The world needs geologists. Good luck.

Susan H

Message 11 of 11

thanks for the help..really appreciate your suggestions.

what is the about?

are there any specific books avaialable regarding use of autocad in geosciences?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost