AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

export to shp file in 2014

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
alloverbyheli
16992 Views, 13 Replies

export to shp file in 2014

Hi There,

I have just updated to Map3D 2014 and work in 2D Drafting Workspace.  In 2013, the export button was located in the Map Drafting tab, Map Output panel.  In earlier versions it was under output tab as map 3d export.  However, its position in 2014 from 2013 has been replace by a "To FDO Connection".  In help, it directs me to the older location of under the output tab - map data transfer - map 3d output, however this does not seem to exist.  The only panels I have there are Plot and Export to DWF/PDF, no map data transfer.  I can find it if I switch to Map Drafting Workspace in the Map Drafting pulldown - inport/export - export, or if I use the command "mapexport", but from both it only asks where and what to name the file and what type (shp, tab, etc), and then the routine stops and goes back to the drawing instead of opening the dialog to select objects, etc.  Can anyone confirm if this is a bug or how to fix please?  Some of my clients insist on shp files.

Chris Sawyer
Flight Planning - CGG, Airborne Acquisition Division (Toronto)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Murph_Map
in reply to: alloverbyheli

I haven't installed 2014 yet and it may be this weekend before I get  GOOD connection to d/l and install. But I'll ask around and see if there is an know issue or workaround.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 14
nkg2

That is messed up!?!?  I suspect that a hotfix or service pack is coming already and hopefully soon.   I tried using help, and it says that button that you are used to should be in planning and analysis>output tab>map data transfer panel>Map3d Export but it is not on mine either.   If you have not done so, I would log a service request ASAP.   In the meantime, can your clients accept SDF?

***Viewer/Reader Discretion is Advised***
Autodesk 2022- Architectural, Engineering and Construction Subscription & Infraworks
Windows 10 Professional, x64, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Message 4 of 14

Hi,

>> but from both it only asks where and what to name the file and what type (shp, tab, etc),

>> and then the routine stops

There is a problem with the file PROVIDERS.XML, change your file (make a backup before) to the one I attached here and restart AutoCAD Map3D.

The file is stored here (Win7):

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2014\bin\FDO

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 14

Thanks Alfred, I was away from the office today, but will switch out that file first thing tomorrow and will post the results.  I see someone else was having similar problems with importing shp files which is something I need to be able to do as well, but to be honest haven't gotten around to trying yet since the upgrade.  I will try to import one before switching that file to see if I have that problem as well, and then after the new file.  Will post that result as well.

Chris Sawyer
Message 6 of 14

Wonderful Alfred.  Thank you very much.  I checked and confirmed that import was coming up with an error as well.  I replaced that file and both import and export work as normal now.

Chris Sawyer
Message 7 of 14
DarrenP

here is the official kb article: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21699992&linkID=9240857&CMP=OTC-RSS...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 14

I tried replacing the providers.xml file. It fixed the import problem, but I'm still not seeing the export button on the ribbon, either in Map 2014 or Civil 3D 2014.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: A kinda-sorta nevermind: MAPEXPORT works. I don't mind typing it in, but having a button on the Ribbon would still be nice . . .

Message 9 of 14

Hi,

>> [...] but I'm still not seeing the export button on the ribbon [...]

They have changed this part of the menu, confirmed. If you want to have the menu structured in another way you have the choice to do your own customizations. For menu use command _CUI and reconfigure or make your own ribbon.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 14
tulio.paz

Could you attach a picture of where is this button export to SDF, SHP, among others?

Grateful

Message 11 of 14

Somewhere between Map3D 2010 and 2013 (my office jumped over 2011 and 12, and I've really only used 2013), the mapexport button was moved from the Output tab to the Map Drafting Tab (made sense to me since that is where the import button is).  As Alfred suggested, I just modified the Map Output pannel in the Map Drafting tab with the CUI.  It took a bit of searching, but changing the pull down from all customization files to map_2ddrafting.cuix made it easier to find.  Since the Export to FDO icon (mapexportfdo) is what replaced Mapexport, and I don't use an fdo, I just edited that icon to run the mapexport cmd.  Actually this little exercise has encouraged me to play with the cui and now I am building a single tab that has my most frequently used pannels.  Much less moving arround.  Now I just need voice recognition to replace typing in commands 🙂

Chris Sawyer
Message 12 of 14
tulio.paz

the problem is that I teach class Autocad Map 3D, and to teach this to the slower students will require more time. Is there a fix that?
Message 13 of 14
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: tulio.paz

Hi,

>> Is there a fix that?

A fix to get the menu-button where you want it? I fear that is even no "fix" as a menu newly structured is not a bug°

But you can modify your menu to get the ribbons-items (and buttons) wherever you want to have them. ....so the students learn also CUI 😉

BTW; students that are learning the interface will not be surprised that the button is on another position compare to an old version they never saw. 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 14
BruceAdams

Just type the command "mapexport" simple as that. I wouldn't recommend screwing with the CUI interface for a beginner in training, since ADSK designed the CUI interface confusing and counter intuitive to say the least.  Not saying it's that hard to pick up, but for early beginners it's a little too much to grasp, and should be taught as a seperate lesson altogether.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost