AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

create "read-only" files

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
mghoury
9454 Views, 9 Replies

create "read-only" files

Is there a way to have a .dwg file and make it read only? i want to have my files protected so no one can alter them once i hand them over to consultants to view.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: mghoury

Hi,

just via operating system and/or network-administration. So move them to a folder where you can place new files but don't be able to modify them.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 10
mghoury

well i need to email these files to various consultants on a daily basis so when they open these files i want them to be opened as read only.  is that possible?

Message 4 of 10
thepworth

Message 5 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

you can't assign a readonly-attribute to DWG-files itself. And even if you would have a readonly flag you would be able to create a new drawing, do a copy&paste from your file to a new file and save this copy with the original filename 😉

If you want to send them data for visualization (also within AutoCAD) but not modifiable (at least not without hardcore-tricks) you can create a DWF-file. That can be visualized, zoomed, paned and referenced (georeferenced) into other AutoCAD-files like XRefs.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 10
thepworth
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

or send them your drawing with all layers locked....

Message 7 of 10
antoniovinci
in reply to: thepworth

@ ALFRED and ThePworth

Unfortunately your methods are easily bypassable.

Even protecting tools like the famous "Deter" have the own antidote.

As a matter of fact, there's NO way to protect a vector drawing, unless you rasterize it.

Message 8 of 10

Hi,

>> Unfortunately your methods are easily bypassable.

Within 10sec show me a solution of how to modify a DWF-content 😉

(10sec because there is one tool out in the world that converts DWF to DWG, but not easy to find I think)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 10

I agree, costing 75$, but I think it's a good deal.
Anyway, I wonder whether why there's no free DWF2DWG converter in the whole Web, yet...

Message 10 of 10
Murph_Map

Have you looked at this?

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost