AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

concat a joined database property?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
tdunn_3
554 Views, 10 Replies

concat a joined database property?

I have a property  "chaney_dell|Comments" from a joined database and I would like to use an expression like:

concat( "chaney_dell|Comments" ,'\P\', Tract_ID ,'\P', owner ,'\P',   acres, ' ACRES' ,'\P', 'S-', sec ,' T-', twn ,' R-', rng  ,'\P',  book ,'/', page )

All I get is "text" as a label for my shape and when I go back to edit the expression it adds quotation marks to the beginning and end.

"concat( "chaney_dell|Comments" ,'\P\', Tract_ID ,'\P', owner ,'\P',   acres, ' ACRES' ,'\P', 'S-', sec ,' T-', twn ,' R-', rng  ,'\P',  book ,'/', page )"

If I take the quotation marks off of chaney_dell|Comments it will not validate because of the | character. What am I missing here?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
thepworth
in reply to: tdunn_3

in one of your newline calls I see \P\ - with a second slash - does this affect anything?

Message 3 of 11
tdunn_3
in reply to: thepworth

I took it out but it still gets hung up on the | character. If I ever get this figured out the second \ would have definietly given me problems, thanks!

Message 4 of 11
thepworth

OK  had a few moments to "Play" and I'm getting the same result.  I'd say if you're on subscription open a support request and give it a higher priority, or take your chances to see if Nate & his fellow gurus respond here... šŸ˜ž

Message 5 of 11
parkr4st

| is an "illegal character"?

do a calc and title the column without the |

for the calc select the property with the bar & OK.  The data should be identical in both columns.  Use the new column in the concat

Dave

Message 6 of 11
thepworth
in reply to: parkr4st

Problem I found was that, at least in my C3D R2012 install, when I tried to style with an expression based on an expression and used "concat" then selected the field from the pull-down, a new line, and a piece of static text, I still just got "text" as the resulting label - not what I expected at all....

Message 7 of 11
parkr4st

which is caused by  the | in the joined column heading.  I've had the same problem and solved it two ways, one as I explained and the other is mapimport and mapexport which changes the column from a join to part of the OD.  One of the shortcomings of Map3d i guess. 

Message 8 of 11
thepworth

Concur - it's funny that it would happen with an element put there by the software and not the user.  seems par for the course with what we're given - "why use one step when 3 to 5+ just might get you there..." Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 11
tdunn_3
in reply to: parkr4st

When I try to do the calc that property does not show up? I have a data connection with a shp file and an ODBC excel file. When I view the table and go to create a calculation it only shows the shp file properties not the ODBC properties.

Message 10 of 11
parkr4st

do you try  display manager   select the layer r clk and select refresh layer? 

Message 11 of 11
tdunn_3

I tried to refresh my layers and still not showing up. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

ā€Boost