AutoCAD Map 3D General

Active Contributor
Message 1 of 3 (157 Views)
Accepted Solution

Working with a DEM

157 Views, 2 Replies
07-23-2013 11:11 AM

Hi. I once had a similar question but this time my data is smaller and much better.

I'm hoping to figure out a few things about DEM's.

1) vertical exaggeration - what to set it to? Is there data for a Z-scale I'm missing?

2) how to move a DEM as mine isn't located in the right spot.

3) better overall understanding of working with DEMs

The DEM data comes from this website: I tried attaching a 10 MB zip but it was too big.

http://www.dggs.alaska.gov/pubs/id/23964

When I data connected to the DEM which is in ASCII format it comes in looking okay.

DEM connected

Then I change to 3D mode and it's terrible.

3D view not working

For a while I decided it was my data and I should convert it in ArcGIS... but first I decided to play with vertical exaggeration.

Setting vertical exaggeration to .00001 yields this:

Now it's looking good

And I'm satisfied with the way it looks now, but I'm curious why the vertical exaggeration is whack?

Also, the section is way off from my other data. How can I move it?

Strangely, it seems to work correctly in ArcGIS. Does anyone know any solution I could fix in ArcGIS and then transfer it to AutoCAD? I mainly use AutoCAD.

Active Contributor
Message 2 of 3 (154 Views)

Re: Working with a DEM

07-23-2013 11:23 AM in reply to: Jfactory

Additionally, it came with shp files as borders and they're located in the right spot...

How do I connect them?

Active Contributor
Message 3 of 3 (149 Views)

Re: Working with a DEM

07-23-2013 11:28 AM in reply to: Jfactory

Omg, I think I fixed it. It was allllll because of the coordinates!  Silly me! Sorry for the trouble!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community