AutoCAD Map 3D General

Reply
*David
Message 1 of 8 (202 Views)

Which Coordinate Zone for CA DRGs?

202 Views, 7 Replies
11-20-2002 10:13 AM
I've downloaded some USGS DRG files available from the California Spatial
Information Library. They are located in part of the state of California
and represented to be in the "Albers Equal Area Projection" . I've tried to
assign the following coordinate zones within AutoCAD Map5 to the source
drawings (DRGs) with no success.

1. "CATeale" (NAD27 Albers Equal Area for California, Meter)
2. "CA-VII" (NAD27 California State Planes, Zone VII, US Foot),
3. "US48" (48 States; NAD27 Albers Equal Area, 1:2000,000 DLG

Does anyone know if there is a coordinate system to pick from within the
program which will work? If not, is there one that you can modify to work
for this source?

Thanks,
David
*David
Message 2 of 8 (202 Views)

Re: Which Coordinate Zone for CA DRGs?

11-21-2002 02:23 AM in reply to: *David
Hi David,

There was a bad definition for the old Map versions for the Teale
definition. I'd try modifying the CATeale definition so that the False
Easting is MINUS 4000000 instead of plus. The rest of the definition is
fine.

If that doesn't work, let me know.

Cheers,
David Walsh

If that doesn't work
"David" wrote in message
news:30116C952D99EA544D33ACEC65C97932@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> I've downloaded some USGS DRG files available from the California Spatial
> Information Library. They are located in part of the state of California
> and represented to be in the "Albers Equal Area Projection" . I've tried
to
> assign the following coordinate zones within AutoCAD Map5 to the source
> drawings (DRGs) with no success.
>
> 1. "CATeale" (NAD27 Albers Equal Area for California, Meter)
> 2. "CA-VII" (NAD27 California State Planes, Zone VII, US Foot),
> 3. "US48" (48 States; NAD27 Albers Equal Area, 1:2000,000 DLG
>
> Does anyone know if there is a coordinate system to pick from within the
> program which will work? If not, is there one that you can modify to work
> for this source?
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
>
*David
Message 3 of 8 (202 Views)

DAVID: YOU ARE AWESOME!

11-21-2002 05:19 AM in reply to: *David
David,

It worked! You definitely saved my sanity. This is not the first time
you've come to my rescue. I was at the end of my rope. THANK YOU!!!

Many cheers!!!

David


David wrote in message
news:0D061CFE11DCB96DEA956FD383705F38@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi David,
>
> There was a bad definition for the old Map versions for the Teale
> definition. I'd try modifying the CATeale definition so that the False
> Easting is MINUS 4000000 instead of plus. The rest of the definition is
> fine.
>
> If that doesn't work, let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> David Walsh
>
> If that doesn't work
> "David" wrote in message
> news:30116C952D99EA544D33ACEC65C97932@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > I've downloaded some USGS DRG files available from the California
Spatial
> > Information Library. They are located in part of the state of
California
> > and represented to be in the "Albers Equal Area Projection" . I've
tried
> to
> > assign the following coordinate zones within AutoCAD Map5 to the source
> > drawings (DRGs) with no success.
> >
> > 1. "CATeale" (NAD27 Albers Equal Area for California, Meter)
> > 2. "CA-VII" (NAD27 California State Planes, Zone VII, US Foot),
> > 3. "US48" (48 States; NAD27 Albers Equal Area, 1:2000,000 DLG
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is a coordinate system to pick from within the
> > program which will work? If not, is there one that you can modify to
work
> > for this source?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David
> >
> >
>
>
*David
Message 4 of 8 (202 Views)

PS:

11-21-2002 05:22 AM in reply to: *David
David,

I was so happy it worked, I forgot to mention one minor point for the
benefit of anyone else you may run into this... it's the false Northing that
I changed (not the false Easting).

David


David wrote in message
news:0D061CFE11DCB96DEA956FD383705F38@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Hi David,
>
> There was a bad definition for the old Map versions for the Teale
> definition. I'd try modifying the CATeale definition so that the False
> Easting is MINUS 4000000 instead of plus. The rest of the definition is
> fine.
>
> If that doesn't work, let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> David Walsh
>
> If that doesn't work
> "David" wrote in message
> news:30116C952D99EA544D33ACEC65C97932@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > I've downloaded some USGS DRG files available from the California
Spatial
> > Information Library. They are located in part of the state of
California
> > and represented to be in the "Albers Equal Area Projection" . I've
tried
> to
> > assign the following coordinate zones within AutoCAD Map5 to the source
> > drawings (DRGs) with no success.
> >
> > 1. "CATeale" (NAD27 Albers Equal Area for California, Meter)
> > 2. "CA-VII" (NAD27 California State Planes, Zone VII, US Foot),
> > 3. "US48" (48 States; NAD27 Albers Equal Area, 1:2000,000 DLG
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is a coordinate system to pick from within the
> > program which will work? If not, is there one that you can modify to
work
> > for this source?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > David
> >
> >
>
>
*Brown, Anne
Message 5 of 8 (202 Views)

PS:

11-21-2002 08:05 AM in reply to: *David
David and everyone -

Please do not change the subject line of newsgroup messages to
which you are replying. It breaks the ability of the search
engine to group the messages, makes it hard to follow the thread
and is quite confusing. If it is a new subject, please start a
new message; if a reply, put your text answer in the body of your
message and leave the header the same.

The subjects "Which Coordinate Zone for CA DRGs?", "DAVID: YOU
ARE AWESOME!" and "PS:" all belong in this message group.
---
Anne Brown
Manager, Moderator
Autodesk Product Support discussion groups
Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion
*Huw
Message 6 of 8 (202 Views)

PS:

11-21-2002 08:24 AM in reply to: *David
Does that include appending a useless subject line?

eg. Original post's subject line "Help"
Reply's subject line "Help - coordinate conversion"

Or can the search engine cope with that?

Huw

"Anne Brown" wrote in message
news:3DDD74D2.ECCCBDF6@autodesk.com...
> David and everyone -
>
> Please do not change the subject line of newsgroup messages to
> which you are replying. It breaks the ability of the search
> engine to group the messages, makes it hard to follow the thread
> and is quite confusing. If it is a new subject, please start a
> new message; if a reply, put your text answer in the body of your
> message and leave the header the same.
>
> The subjects "Which Coordinate Zone for CA DRGs?", "DAVID: YOU
> ARE AWESOME!" and "PS:" all belong in this message group.
> ---
> Anne Brown
> Manager, Moderator
> Autodesk Product Support discussion groups
> Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion
*Brown, Anne
Message 7 of 8 (202 Views)

PS:

11-21-2002 10:22 PM in reply to: *David
The search engine would find all instances of "Help". It's always
best to leave the subject line as originally started and just
reply. Moderators do routinely edit subject lines such as "help"
or "please help" as they are not specific to the problem. The
better the subject line the better the answers usually. If we do
edit a subject line, we go back to the original post so all
answers will have the ammended subject.
--
Anne Brown
Manager, Moderator
Autodesk Product Support Discussion Groups
Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion

Huw wrote:
>
> Does that include appending a useless subject line?
>
> eg. Original post's subject line "Help"
> Reply's subject line "Help - coordinate conversion"
*Jaquith, David
Message 8 of 8 (202 Views)

PS:

11-24-2002 08:19 AM in reply to: *David
Anne,

OK. Sorry about that. Thanks for letting me know.

David

"Anne Brown" wrote in message
news:3DDD74D2.ECCCBDF6@autodesk.com...
> David and everyone -
>
> Please do not change the subject line of newsgroup messages to
> which you are replying. It breaks the ability of the search
> engine to group the messages, makes it hard to follow the thread
> and is quite confusing. If it is a new subject, please start a
> new message; if a reply, put your text answer in the body of your
> message and leave the header the same.
>
> The subjects "Which Coordinate Zone for CA DRGs?", "DAVID: YOU
> ARE AWESOME!" and "PS:" all belong in this message group.
> ---
> Anne Brown
> Manager, Moderator
> Autodesk Product Support discussion groups
> Discussion Q&A: http://www.autodesk.com/discussion

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community