AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird shape exporting issue with AutoCAD Map 2012

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
norman.yuan
425 Views, 5 Replies

Weird shape exporting issue with AutoCAD Map 2012

I have run into an very weird shape exporting problem.

Here is the issue:

We are routinely exporting closed polyline as polygon to shape file. We use a custom application with MAP objectARX .NET API to automate it. It works since AcadMap 2006 for years.

We jsut have a new Win7 64 computer with AutoCAD Map 2012 assigned to a user. Note, all other users have the same type of computer, same OS, same Acad Nap 2012. with this particular computer, the shape exporting has an issue:

if only one polygon is selected to be exported to a shape file, then the shape file will be created, but the data in it seems wrong, because open the shape file in a shape file view, either nothing shows, or some error message shows, depending on shape viewer. It means the generated shape file by AutoCAD Map is somehow invalid. However, if more than one polygon is selected for exporting, the generated shape file is perfectly good.

originally, I though it was some subtle bug in the custom app finally surfaced after so many years. But when run command "MapExport" to export to shape file manually, the sam eissue happens: one polygon exporting fails and multiple polygion exporting succeeds.

Note, it only happens with this single computer. uninstall and reinstall AutoCAD Map 2012 does not solve it. All other computers with the same setup (Win7 64-bit, AutoCAD Map 2012) do not have this issue.

It seems like computer specific issue and since it is not reproduceable from any other computer, I have no clue how to solve the problem, other than givng the user another computer.

Does anyone ever have this or similar problem with shape file exporting?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Murph_Map
in reply to: norman.yuan

Try signing on to that PC as another user and see if it still happens. It may e the users windows profile causing it.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 6
norman.yuan
in reply to: Murph_Map

No, it is not user specific. Whoever logs into that computer and excute command "MapExport" to export a single polygon as shape file, the shape file generated is bad, while if more than one polygons are selected for exporting, the shape file generated is good, as it should be. Of course that computer's designated user has no this problem when logging into any other CAD computer in the office.

I have asked our IT support to reinstall AutoCAD Map 2012 with that computer, but the issue is still there. Again, it is not reproducable with other computers, so almost no way to troubleshoot it. It looks like the last measure would be to completely refomat that computer and reinstall Win7 64-bit and then AutoCAD Map 2012.

Just want to know if anyone came across the same issue or not.

Message 4 of 6

Hi,

two ideas and few questions:

a) export the AutoCAD profile from another workstation and import it at this (bad) workstation, you might also copy the Map3D2012 specific folders within C:\users\<username> and also C:\ProgramData from the good to the bad workstation.

b) make the updates of Windows-Framework.

c) does the problem also exist when you don't create a SHP but a SDF with one polygon? And for line- or point-themes, same issue when only one object is selected to be exported?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 6

Thank you, alfred,for your reply.

Other users, including myself, trying with this particular computer, are usually a user who logs into the computer the first time, so the windows user profile and AutoCAD' roaming user data are created when logged in and AutoCAD is started the first time.

The issue is there for everyone logged into this computer.

Well, I have not tried to export to SDF, because we have never needed to use SDF, only SHP is needed in this particular process. I'll try to export to SDF to see what happens.

Message 6 of 6

Hi,

>> so the windows user profile and AutoCAD' roaming user data are created when logged in

>> and AutoCAD is started the first time.

Yep, I undertstand that. I would have tried to copy one of the functional user-folders anyway because the new generation of the user-data (for AutoCAD) is all based on the (hidden) UserDataCache folder, which is locally based at every workstation. And if that source has some issues, all new user-profiles will have earned that issues too.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost