AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 2012? Yes or No

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
irrigation-thom
467 Views, 10 Replies

Upgrade to 2012? Yes or No

I am currently working in Release 2006 of Map3D and just got a new computer with Windows 7.

Thinking of upgrading to a new version of AutoCAD but have a few questions that I would love to get feedback on.

I only do 2-dimensional drawing with standard commands and insert .jpg, .tiff and raster images on a dailyy basis.  I insert aerial photos from googleearth and other sites and would love to have the capability to insert .pdf files.

My question for anyone and everyone is, shoud I upgrade to a new version of Map3D or save some money and just get a seat of regular AutoCAD?  What are the advantages I am missing if I choose not to get Map 3D?

The only reason i have Map3D now is because it was inherited so i do not think I have ever needed anything specific to Map 3D but could be wrong.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks --

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Hi,

>> What are the advantages I am missing if I choose not to get Map 3D?

All GIS-functionality, beginning from drawing cleanup up to creating topologys + inserting and/or referencing to other GIS-data like SHP, Oracle, other DB-servers handling spatial data/analysing GIS-data/creating thematic mappings, .....so much more I'm not able to count that up all at the moment.

Don't see the "3D"-characters of the product naming "Map 3D" as important as it looks like. Well it has some functionality to display and analyse 3D-DEM-models, it also has the full functionality of AutoCAD 3D-surfaces/solids/nurbs ... but GIS is more 2D (or 2.5D) than 3D. So you have all 2D stuff included, nothing missed from that.

For GoogleEarth data or for areal photos (georeferenced raster files) you have the advantage that Map3D knows this type of files. Inserting mulitple files like TIFF/TWF will put the images to the right position and scaling (what plain AutoCAD does not). That is one argument from your wishes pro Map3D. As I don't know what your primary job is, I can't give you an answer like use this or that, sorry.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 11

plus ... >>>crossposting<<<

It does not make sense to place the questions more than once in a forum. We don't know where to answer, other don't know you already got an answer, and you don't know where to continue for additional questions to this thread-theme.

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 4 of 11
phmurphy
in reply to: irrigation-thom

Just a warning, if you have Windows 7 Home, it won't install, you need Windows 7 Ultimate or better.  I had Vista Home premium and had to buy another computer.  I do like the new speed.

Message 5 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: phmurphy

Hi,

at least "Win 7 Home Premium" is supported for 2012, >>>click<<<

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 11
phmurphy
in reply to: irrigation-thom

Hmm,

Something is wrong somewhere.  The DVD I am holding specifically excludes the Home editions in either W7 or Vista.

Message 7 of 11
phmurphy
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

This reference also excludes the home editions.

http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad-map-3d/system-requirements/

Message 8 of 11
phmurphy

The difference may be that Autocad MAP can't run on the Home editions, but the regular AutoCAD (not MAP) can.

Message 9 of 11
Alfred.NESWADBA

I apologize for confusion, you are right (I didn't take care of "here is the Map3D-forum")!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 11
Murph_Map

@phmurphy wrote:

The difference may be that Autocad MAP can't run on the Home editions, but the regular AutoCAD (not MAP) can.

It works with the Educational version, A little slow on my laptop but still installed and runs.

2012_Win7_Home.png

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 11 of 11

irrigation-thom wrote:

I am currently working in Release 2006 of Map3D

Me too, man, and now let me tell you something.

Since 5 years, I wonder whether to ask my holy Boss about upgrading to newer releases, but...

PRO

In my Map2006 I can do everything I need: cleanup maps, create topologies, link to external Excel/Access databases, make thematic maps with rich labels and legendas, generate 3D surfaces from Dem, export 3D shapes with Gis attributes to Google Earth, even drap GE aerial photos as mapped materials on those TIN surfaces.
Last but not least, I love this simple, familiar, classic Autocad interface, without any fireworks like cumbersome ribbons...

CONS

I cannot join external Web resources (FDO technique), so I must download them locally, and MAPIMPORT 'em.
I cannot import PDF files, so I have to convert them before with Acrobat.
I cannot grab directly GE terrain, so I gotta use third-party tools.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost