AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Units - Importing .shp files & Google Earth Images

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Yunlena
1056 Views, 5 Replies

Units - Importing .shp files & Google Earth Images

Hi all!

I am trying to create drawings for a client where we want to have everything coordinate correct and the correct dimension for roads and other info. Their units are set to Engineer and Unitless (which I do not have control over). Plus we assign a state plane coordinate system to the drawing.

When I import lidar information from a .shp file it may be placing the lines/images correctly, but I'm measuring 5' for a road that is actually 60' (I did notice that it is a multiple of 12). I can't scale everything up by 12 from the origin - because then I would lose the coordinates... In Decimal - everything is fine (naturally =] )

How do I bring in information and have it measure correctly? And more importantly, that I can then draw correctly...

Is there an option that I'm missing? 

Using AutoCAD 2011 Map 3D

Would appreciate any help!! 

Christina

Best,
Christina
-------
Map 3D 2019 | Civil 3D 2019
Windows 10 | Lenovo P50S
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
parkr4st
in reply to: Yunlena

Suggest you start with a new map and set the Coord Sys to the same as the .shp and then connect to the .shp data.  That should be correctly positioned.  add you drawing line work and scale it to the map using any common base points you have to get it postioned correctly relative to the coordinate system. 

dave

Message 3 of 6
Yunlena
in reply to: parkr4st

Hi Dave!

Thank you for your reply!

The .shp file is the same coordinate system as the drawing that it's being placed into. 

The issue that I encounter is the units. When they are decimal - everything imports correctly and measures correctly. When those units are changed from decimal to engineering - everything imports relatively (so they are all in the same spot, but not sure if it's coordinate correct) and the measurement is off by a multiple of 12 (because it's formatting differently). So, maybe it's a formatting issue with the units. I'm not sure. For the end result I would like to have the format be ft-in and have it coordinate correct and measure correctly... I'm not sure how that would work.

Regards,

Christina

Best,
Christina
-------
Windows 10 | Lenovo P50S
Message 4 of 6
fieldguy

>When I import lidar information from a .shp file

Do you set the units in the dwg before you import?  I would try "Feet" (see attached) before importing. 

Message 5 of 6
parkr4st

one other thing to check.  OPTIONS user preferences tab,  insertion scale.  what are the settings?

did you _mapimport the lidar data or data connect?

Dave

Message 6 of 6
Yunlena
in reply to: parkr4st

Hi all!

Sorry for my lapse in replying.

We usually leave our units at decimal and unitless - which usually, everything comes in just fine. The client finally got back to us and didn't care if we converted the units from engineering to decimal (which previously - I was told was not an option).

So all is well - but if I encounter this in the future I hope that I can figure out a resolution 🙂

Thank you all for your replies!!!!

Regards,

Christina

Best,
Christina
-------
Windows 10 | Lenovo P50S

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost