AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble inserting JPG2000 at correct location and scale

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
wadeburcham4557
1899 Views, 11 Replies

Trouble inserting JPG2000 at correct location and scale

I have downloaded JPG2000 files from the National Map.  I can insert the image, but it doesn't recogonize where it is supposed to be.

http://screencast.com/t/7QGcKGyAFD

I'm using Civil 3D, 2013 on a 32 bit machine.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi,

I have tried it with C3D 2013 x64 and it was working correct using _MAPCONNECT as you showed (I also didn't get the dialog for insertion point).

So you may verify

• what servicepack you have installed
  • what happens, when you use command _MAPIINSERT to get the image referenced into the drawing.
  •  

Good luck, - alfred -

BTW: what operating system do you have?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alfred NESWADBA
    Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (not an Autodesk consultant)
    Message 3 of 12

In the meanwhile, I converted your imagery to a true Geotiff: check the attachment out, sir.

Message 4 of 12

Is there a chance you do not have a co-ordinate system assigned to the drawing you are importing the jpg into?

Use MAPCSASSIGN to assign your desired co ordinate system to your drawing - then when using MAPCONNECT you might also have to check that the co-ordinate system has been recognised. See JPG screenshot attached.

regards

Message 5 of 12

I'm using service pack 2.

When I use mapinsert, it comes in correct.  Wonder how that works?  Anyway, I have a massive set of files and need it to set it up so that the jpg is not inserted but referenced so that I can set up the scale range to only load that portion of the maps in the area I'm working in.

Message 6 of 12

I believe the coordinate system was set up...http://screencast.com/t/4Tvxvtl7lW

Message 7 of 12

Thanks for converting the jpg to a geotiff.  However, the actual file I'm trying to insert it a jp2.  I didn't upload it due to it's size.  Here is the actual file that I need to insert:  https://thompsonengineering.box.com/shared/static/cxodzwnibi5csvznzqw2.jp2

Message 8 of 12

Hi,

>> I have a massive set of files and need it to set it up so that the jpg is not inserted but referenced

command _MAPIINSERT (with double "I") does not embed the files, it references them too (and in most cases faster than _MAPCONNECT manages then the images while e.g. running PAN or ZOOM).

If it works, use it.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
    Message 9 of 12

Referencing images, rather than embedding, is more efficient, just because every change in one raster yields an immediate effect in all the DWGs including it.

About Geotiff vs Jpeg2000, I prefer the first one since it supports light 256 colors, whilst J2K only the heavy RGB format.

Message 10 of 12

Hi,

>> Referencing images, rather than embedding, is more efficient

Yep, both commands (_MAPCONNECT and also _MAPIINSERT) are using referencing mechanism, that's what I wrote, at least what I wanted to say/write 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
    Message 11 of 12

Genau verstanden, meine Freund...

Message 12 of 12

Wade: the solution suggested by miner.details works well. I've illustrated that further in a quick demo:

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/5e46de85-ded6-4566-80e1-5637227b26a6

The point we are trying to make with you is that if the *image's* coordinate system is not recognized, you have to override it to get it projected correctly in your drawing.

Thanks everyone for your contributions!

Phil Borycens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost