AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim, Mask, or Clip Data

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
rferguson7
2049 Views, 18 Replies

Trim, Mask, or Clip Data

I have connected to shape files showing land use. I brought it in using Query for location. Really, neither TOUCHING polygon nor completely INSIDE polygon are what I am looking for on the outside boundary but the viewport takes care of that shortfall. The problem comes where I need to create holes in the data. There are polygons within which I need the data to be hidden. How can I accomplish this?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
parkr4st
in reply to: rferguson7

first is don't query in what you don't want to show either doing query by points(0) or fence(s) if by location or have a data field Y for show N for not and only queary in the Y's.

Could you post a picture of what you're dealing with?

Dave

Message 3 of 19
antoniovinci

rferguson7 wrote:

How can I accomplish this?

I guess that TOPOLOGY is the answer, sir.

Message 4 of 19
rferguson7
in reply to: parkr4st

Thanks for the replies. Here is a screenshot of what I have and what I need. http://screencast.com/t/NI3BQgABim 

Message 5 of 19
rferguson7
in reply to: antoniovinci

I'm predominately a Civil 3D user so I am not familiar with topology but I am reading about it in HELP right now. Do you think this will accomplish my goal?

Message 6 of 19
Murph_Map

Instead of data connect use the map import to bring in the data with Object Data. Then you can boundary trim and label with Map Anno blocks as you need. If you need to style/theme the polygons you can do that as well with the object data attached.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 19
rferguson7
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks Murph! Glad you're still on here even if you're no longer blogging.

I have already tried this (but previously forgot to tell it to bring the Object Data with it). What I did was, export what I had data linked in (what you saw in previous screenshot) to an SDF. Then I MAPIMPORT that SDF in. Everything comes in black and does not show up in my task pane so I am not sure how to theme it again. Also, when I try a Boundary Trim it doesn't seem to trim smoothly along my cutting edge. Some objects are overlapped by my boundary but I want those objects to trim. This is what I have: http://screencast.com/t/IUjQhzmt0TIP

Message 8 of 19
rferguson7

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong in the boundary trim options. I have tried just about everything in there though: http://screencast.com/t/UaRU7YiUVENV

Message 9 of 19
Murph_Map

When you import look on the last tab for convert polygons to closed polylines. That should sovle a lot of your issues. Also to theme them in that task pane, Map Explorer tab you will needed to add a hatch to the now closed plines and color by Object Data values.

Murph
Message 10 of 19
rferguson7

yes! that is it on the boundary trim! (haven't tried the themes just yet) I still need to figure out how to get the objects back in the four little polygons from my first screenshot though. Don't tell me yet...I am going to spend a few minutes trying to figure this one out... 😉

Message 11 of 19
rferguson7

Ok, I am sooooo close! I figured out the 4 holes and now I am trying to theme it. It seems to be unable to hatch these trimmed polygons. Any trick for this one? http://screencast.com/t/omhvow21i

Message 12 of 19
rferguson7

This is the error I am getting. http://screencast.com/t/uWy4S7yz8L

Message 13 of 19
Murph_Map

The error may mean you have bad object data to one of the objects, look at each object's data and see if the vaules are still there and correct. Also make sure the trimmed polylines are closed.

Murph
Message 14 of 19
rferguson7

The polylines are broken once they are trimmed at the project boundary.

I am sure there was an easier/faster way to accomplish this but I just didn't have time to play with it any longer so I had to come up with an undesireable workaround. I ended up redrawing a lot of hatch boundaries and manually hatching whilst also using the themes for some of the drawing objects. I got it to look the way I want but as soon as I hit save it will go back to showing land uses within my project boundary. So if the client wants me to make any changes, I have to spend half an hour on it to get it to look like this again. http://screencast.com/t/YEepialX 

Message 15 of 19
parkr4st

rferguson

interesting replies. hope you haven't given up entirely after the exercise.  a couple more questions for you.  What is the final display media you are aiming for?  in M3D, on paper, other computer file format, export to other GIS program file format?

If it a display on paper or to an image, ie jpg  you can eliminate all of the area outside the outer bounday from plotting by plotting a window area.  If you want to keep it in m3d than you need to alter the sdf object to the display area as discribed.

as for the inner project boundary, you can prevent them from showing by elimination by any of the query methods described.  If it is a matter of masking over so the area does not print and I'm not sure if Civil can do intersection.

If it does, better in a new dwg which you will not save, you mapimport the four small polygons and the large project boundary area(s) and map export to a sdf file.  Intersect the sdf to itself, in the resulting sdf you delete the four small polygons, check in your edits, and save the layer to a layer file.   That layer file can be used as a mask.  Keep in mind this is solely a mask and that the objects and data are underneath.  someone else with m3d or civil could "see thoise objects by removing the mask.  If you plot it merely hides whats in the underlying area for purposes of display.

I rate all this as crude but effective at masking out items but it works and can be done about five minutes for your exercise.

dave

Message 16 of 19
rferguson7

Here I am 3 years later and still hoping for an easier solution to this. I just did a search in the discussion group certain that someone else must have asked this by now and I came to my own question from 2012. Maybe it really is just me who needs this. I feel like it should be simple and I also feel like I cannot be the only one who is trying to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish. I have parcels located inside a polygon but there is one polygon inside that one that I do not want the parcels to show (and more importantly, not show on the data table - meaning I do not want to send them a letter). I feel like there has to be an easy way to do this. I really do not want to make these edits to the file as they come from the County and the intent is not to alter that data. I just want to manipulate I call in and how it looks unaltered as I am connected to it to get what I need from it. This is something we do all the time and I really would love a faster simpler solution. Ideally it would be something like [LOCATION: INSIDE.POLYGON.ID1] NOT [LOCATION: INSIDE.POLYGON.ID2]

Message 17 of 19
parkr4st

can you post the data or a link to it?

Message 18 of 19
rferguson7

I attached the DWG but I am not really sure how that will help. All I need to know is the method/procedure to exclude a hole of parcels within my data. 

Message 19 of 19
parkr4st

Rebecca

in this screen shot there are two lines; outer boundary and thick black Pl

http://screencast.com/t/NI3BQgABim 

could you post the lines as sdf files?

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost