AutoCAD Map 3D General

rjmbooth
Message 1 of 3 (136 Views)

Translation to MapInfo format

136 Views, 2 Replies
07-01-2013 12:14 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to translate an AutoCAD 2013 Drawing into MapInfo format. I want to retain the 'Object type:' Geometry properties for each line but only get the default line geometry properties. Does anyone know how to link the 'Object type:' Geometry properties to the lines for translation? The drawing author called them 'civil 3d pipe network objects'.

Thankyou.

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 3 (124 Views)

Re: Translation to MapInfo format

07-01-2013 12:59 AM in reply to: rjmbooth

Upon running the _MAPEXPORT command, ensure you've chosen also the following one:

mapexport.gif

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 3 (122 Views)

Re: Translation to MapInfo format

07-01-2013 01:05 AM in reply to: rjmbooth

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com !

>> I'm trying to translate an AutoCAD 2013 Drawing into MapInfo format. 

>> I want to retain the 'Object type:' Geometry properties

If you have plain AutoCAD (no Map3D) then the only chance I see (without 3rd party application) is to save the drawing as DXF and hope that MapInfo can import it.

If you have Map3D you can start the command _MAPEXPORT to export your geometry to one or more SHP-files, there you have the option to define what properties you want to export with the geometry (second tab in the dialog ==> select attributes).

>> The drawing author called them 'civil 3d pipe network objects'.

Now it get's thrilling :smileywink:

If there are Civil3D-objects in the drawing and you want to export them you need Civil3D as the _MAPEXPORT command does not recognize Civil3D pipes. If you have Civil3D you can use command _AECCEXPORTTOSDF to get Civil3D objects exported as SDF and then convert SDF to SHP (the simpliest way to do this is to create a new drawing, use _MAPIMPORT to import the SDF and then _MAPEXPORT to export them to shape ... don't forget to select the attribute-data in both functions).

[EDIT] Sorry, I forgot that _MAPEXPORT can export to MapInfo's filetypes directly, so no need to go via SHP-format [/EDIT]

Good luck, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community