AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tower and shed

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
bingeomatics
869 Views, 24 Replies

Tower and shed

Hi, colleagues!

I have more questions about symbology, too.....

How can I creat a polygonal spatial object (feature classes) with symbology (showns) like that (without using additional layer)? :

Shed

Tower

Binnat Khalilov
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Hi,

>> How can I creat a polygonal spatial object with symbology like that

What should happen if your polygon has 500 vertizes?

To make it more clear can you show the same two samples for a polygon with 5 vertices, how should that be represented then?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 25

Of couse!

Shed versions

In my situation, key principal that to get a reperesented view like "X" on the buildings (an ex. on sheds).

Binnat Khalilov
Message 4 of 25

Hi,

you may fill it with an X-pattern. But as your upper-left image shows there is no rule (at least I don't recognize any), there are no connections between vertizes, there are vertices without a line startig from the point, so teh X-fillpattern would be the only chance I see.

...or you do some development, but for that you need rules how to fill polygons with n vertices.

Sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 25

Hi,

I can define (principally or logycally) a rule. But I don't know how apply it in AutoCAD Map Style manager technically. In Expression,  functions not enough, I thing, or I don't know they enough...... An example, I want to use with and heigh value of the polygonal object, but I can't get it by Expression.....

Binnat Khalilov
Message 6 of 25

Hi,

>> I want to use with and heigh value of the polygonal object

Are we speaking about the same thing? I don't think so.

A polygonal object is drawn by you or is displayed if you have a dataset having polygons defined. To draw such an object you can use the polyline-command to draw the outline (has to be closed to describe a polygonal object) and then you can add this polyline to a FDO-dataset ==> now you have a new polygon in your dataset.

There is then nothing editable like "width" or "height" afterwards.

May be I'm missing something, at the moment it's not clear for me. Is it how polygons should get filled or are that symbols to be shown on any points along the boundary of the polygon ...?

Sorry, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 25
bingeomatics
in reply to: bingeomatics

Hi, Alfred NESWADBA.

I want to explain this situation again. May be I didn't wrote my thought normally.

The feature object must be a polygon. I can't use hatches. That is why I tried to use a block like "X" (in place of fill of the polygon)  in the middle of the polygon scaling sizes. But I can't get normal result - relation of the edges of the block "X" changed not matched to edges of the polygon, that is I can't find appropriate function in Expression. And I don't know another way to get it...

Binnat Khalilov
Message 8 of 25
Murph_Map

bingeomatics,

From reading your posts and threads I take it you work with electrical transmission lines. With over 10 years doing it myself in everything from AutoCAD R12 (DOS) to ESRI 3.x up to AutoCAD 2011 and ArcGIS10.x I would make some blocks for the towers and shed (powerhouse ?) as many as you need for each shape/configuration then use on of the attributes to desc the configuration and use POINTS objects with the blocks as the symbols. You can theme them based on the attribute.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 9 of 25
bingeomatics
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph, thank you for your offer. I thik you said about point objects, am I right? But I need to creat they by polygonal objects (feature classes). Is there any functions in AutoCAd Map to do it?

Binnat Khalilov
Message 10 of 25
Murph_Map

@bingeomatics wrote:

Murph, thank you for your offer. I thik you said about point objects, am I right? But I need to creat they by polygonal objects (feature classes). Is there any functions in AutoCAd Map to do it?

Yes point type features. Why do you need polygonal? A tower may be different shape but is still just a point (location) on the map. If you have different configurations then use different blocks for the style display.

Murph
Message 11 of 25
bingeomatics

But these objects must be a polygonal, because in the map scale they can (and must) shown whith whole geometry (size).

Binnat Khalilov
Message 12 of 25
Murph_Map

@bingeomatics wrote:

But these objects must be a polygonal, because in the map scale they can (and must) shown whith whole geometry (size).

You can do that with points type objects and using blocks as the symbols. (once you learn the software. 🙂 )

Murph
Message 13 of 25
bingeomatics

Murph, I don't understand you. Can you hel p me? How can I represent a polygonal object with points? If my object must be drawn with real sizes as a polygon, how can I represent it by point blocks?

Binnat Khalilov
Message 14 of 25
Murph_Map

Can you post a screen shot of what you want, more than just the towers but how you want them to show with the rest of the features in the map.

Murph
Message 15 of 25
bingeomatics

Of course!

Example

Binnat Khalilov
Message 16 of 25
Murph_Map

@bingeomatics wrote:

Of course!

Example

I created a sample dwg of how to do it yesterday however when I did a zoom and regen I got the nice feature from AutoCAD to kick in called fatal error and lost it all before I could save it. I'll try again tonight when I get home.

Murph
Message 17 of 25
bingeomatics

Did you try to creat poligonal feature object?

Binnat Khalilov
Message 18 of 25
Murph_Map

@bingeomatics wrote:

Did you try to creat poligonal feature object?

No I used point type features. See if you can open my sample attached.

Sample_towers.png

Murph
Message 19 of 25
bingeomatics

Murph, thank you very much to try help me....!  For the point objects it is a very good method.

But in  topological requirerment of our project shown that an objects which sizes an shapes can be shown in the map scale must be drawn by polygonal feature. That is why I have find a way how I can represent, too. I drawed a polygonal feature. For the represent, I created a block like shape "X" and used it instead of Fill in Style Manager. But now I can't associat the size or scale of block with the feature using Expression. Because,  shapes and sizes of objects are differend.  Can you know about solving this problem.

And for all I am very much obliged to you and to other colleagues in this forum!

Binnat Khalilov
Message 20 of 25
parkr4st

Binnat

I still don't follow entirely your line of thinking.  I think you are making this to hard on yourself.  Scale is somewhat irrelevant when you draw, remember it is 1:1 like the real world.  Just draw everything.  Scale is relevant when you want to show the details relative to need.  Dots and lines between them can show the power line at 1:1,000,000 just fine if you want to see where it goes across the country but 1:10 may be necessary to see the details of where the engineer locates a tower base.  Scale is relative to the audience. 

Open Murph's drawing.  study what happens when you zoom in and out and watch the scale you are viewing at.  At any scale if you measure the length or width of a tower its is always the real world distance.  ie at a scale 1:100 or 1:555 or 1:1368.345 the tower always measures 30 meters or 50 meters which is its actual size.  What you see is in proportion to the scale you are viewing at.  1:100 easy to see the tower details, 1:1000 harder to see the tower details but easy to see the line span between 5 towers, etc.

You use styles to control the appearance to the point object rleative to what you want to show the audience.

Next look at the style he applied to the various towers he used.  The style is set to size context = map. units to meters and the width and height to the dimensions of the tower base and locked.  These settings cause the block to be shown on the screen in proportion to the scale of the view. ie it changes size in the view as scale changes but hold its dimensions.

Next look at the data table for the towers.  it has the model of tower, rotation, x,y location etc. Useful when you go out to the site and build towers.  at scale of 1:1200000 I can't see the picture of the tower details, but the data tells me what I need to know.

Back to styles.  you can change the appearance of the tower at different map scale with the ranges.  ie at a scale of 1:10000 to infnity the tower is a dot, at  1:10000 to 1:1000 it is the tower shaped block, at 1:100 to 1:10 your could change to a different block and show the individual tower structure peices, and at 1:10 show the nuts and bolts holding the whole thing together with a different block.  Just remember to draw the blocks 1:1 if you want the blocks to represent real world dimensions. 

This will hold true wherever you show the map to an audience.  on the screen in the office or out on the site, or when you print it on paper. 

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost