AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sql Server Connection in 2013

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Gary_Braun
2011 Views, 11 Replies

Sql Server Connection in 2013

I have a Sql Server 2008 R2 database with gis features. I can connect to it and add the features to a map when using Map 2012, but not with Map 2013, even with the Sql Server hotfix installed. In 2013 I can log in to sql server and see a grayed out list of the feature classes, but I can't add them to my maps, and I get a message about no spatial data found, (or something to that effect).

Anyone else been able to make this work?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
phil_borycens
in reply to: Gary_Braun

You might try to Run AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 As Administrator (right-click the shortcut that you use to launch the program and choose Run As Administrator) to get more privileges.

If that does not work, you might look into the info here on setting up database users:

http://docs.autodesk.com/MAP/2012/ENU/filesMUG/GUID-5614485F-6E4A-4A97-A5E6-8B038D0590C3.htm

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 12
Gary_Braun
in reply to: phil_borycens

I'm already a local admin on this PC, so I'm not sure what benefits I would see using RUN AS, and even if it worked for me, it wouldn't sove anything for all of our other users who won't be getting admin access anytime soon.

I'll have a look at the link you sent and follow up here with whatever comes of it.

Thanks Phil.

-gb

Message 4 of 12
Gary_Braun

So it looks like that link is all talking about is using FdoUserManager.exe to set up users and assign privileges to them.

I have two users previously set up in Sql Server, one a data owner and the second as a data reader. Using MS sql server management studio, I'm able to log in and access data using either of these accounts as well as being able to use my Windows authentication.

Using Map 2013, I can create a data connection the the sql server instance, again using any of the same three users. I'm able to view the data stores and select the database I want from the drop-down list but when using either Windows authentication or my read only sql server user, the list of available schemas is empty. When I log in as the sql data owner, the list of available schemas is fully populated, but they are all grayed out, and I get a pop-up when I hover over them that says "Feature class doesn't exist".

Using Map 2012, I'm able to connect to the same data store on the same sql server instance, add features to my map, make changes and save back my updates, just the way it is supposed to work.

It's almost as if something has been broken going from 2012 to 2013, but if I've overlooked something, please let me know.

Thanks.

-gb

Message 5 of 12
phil_borycens

Thank you for your reply. After further reserarch, I remember that another customer had a similar issue in the springtime. Here is a summary of what he did to resolve the issue. Maybe it can help you?

+He removed everything from the Control Panel that had SQL in it (including the Native Client).
+Rebooted his machine.
+Installed the Native Client 2005 (because he was trying to make a SQL Server 2005 connection).
+Then he created the SQL connection with the server name and same username and password (SQL authentication). It said schema loading for a long time - a few minutes… finally connected. They think it took so long because there were so many tables. He sent an email to the GIS department administrators if something could be done to make it load faster.
+He may have had to add another file to the Bin/FDO.

Phil Borycens
Message 6 of 12
Gary_Braun

Thanks Phil,

I suppose I don't have much to lose by trying all of that, but your last point has me a bit hesitant. I'm afraid of wasting a day removing and reinstalling software only to find myself back where I began because I don't have "another file" to add to the bin/fdo folder. I don't suppose you know what this file was and/or where he may have got it from do you?

Message 7 of 12
phil_borycens

No -- the information was already forgotten in the one or two days between when the problem was solved and when I spoke with the customer. I wish I knew more...

Anyway, I'm still checking around on this. Maybe another user has tips too. I appreciate your patience.

Phil Borycens
Message 8 of 12
phil_borycens

Hi Gary,

These feature classes do have geometry, right? In other words, they are spatial databases?

Because I could see why they would be greyed out if there wasn't geometry associated with the features. In this case, you could make the connection but not Add to Map. You can still create Joins with this type of connection though.

Phil Borycens
Message 9 of 12
Gary_Braun

That's a reasonable question Phil, but I'm not really certain how to answer it.

We have a new SqlServer 2008 database and I've used arcgis 10.1 to import feature classes from an older geodatabase. My somewhat limited understanding is that as of v10.1, esri now uses native read/write access to spatial databases, without ArcSDE, so these feature classes should have geometry. And even if I've somehow got that muddled, my Map 3D 2012 installation seems to have no problem getting to the geometry, the problem come in with Map 2013.

I appreciate your help with this Phil, thank-you.

BTW, I did the SQL uninstall/reinstall you suggested, but it had no effect.

Message 10 of 12
phil_borycens

Thank you for the additional information in your last post. Now...

Could we get some screenshots? And, are there keys defined? Are these regular tables or views?

Phil Borycens
Message 11 of 12
Gary_Braun

HI Phil,

Just to answer your questions, yes there are keys defined and these are regular tables, not views.

Having said that, as of today I am now able to see and work with the geometry in Map 2013. It looks as though it might have been a DB permissions issue afterall. I thought that the user credentials I was logging in with were set up as data owner, but I had our IT dept. help out with some related data access problems, and in the end this user id was set up in SQL Server as sysadmin. I didn't have a chance to test this on Friday when he made the change, but it is certainly working today, so I have little doubt that this was the fix.

I appreciate your time spent with me on this, and I feel a bit sheepish about not paying more attention to the db roles thread you linked me to in your earlier post. Anyway, yay, it's working!

Message 12 of 12
phil_borycens

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that you narrowed it down and nailed the issue! Thank you for the details which will help anyone else who experiences a similar issue.

Phil Borycens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost