AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Valued Contributor
pg002a
Message 1 of 9 (555 Views)

Spatial join between point and polygon

555 Views, 8 Replies
01-30-2013 11:22 AM

Is it possible to create jon between point feature and polygon feature which is not attribute based, but only geometry based.

When point is inside polygon can I create automatic  join between point and polygon so I can use joined attribute data table.

I know i can create "object data records" links between enclosed text and polyline but i want to do same thing using SDF format points and polygons. Can it be done without converting point feature label  to text and polygon to polyline and then creating automatic links and then again converting polylines  with object data to SDF format.

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 9 (551 Views)

Re: Spatial join between point and polygon

01-30-2013 11:53 AM in reply to: pg002a

I fear you cannot in Autocad environment, while it's easily doable in Qgis opensource one, after exporting all to shapefiles.

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 3 of 9 (543 Views)

01-30-2013 02:56 PM in reply to: pg002a

Not a join but a feature overlay, look at the _MapGisOverLay command. It's crate a new SDF file.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Valued Contributor
pg002a
Message 4 of 9 (535 Views)

01-30-2013 10:22 PM in reply to: Murph

Thanks, I'll find out what Qgis will offer.

julieta.martinez
Message 5 of 9 (484 Views)

02-15-2013 12:56 PM in reply to: Murph

Hi,

I have the same doubt and a additional question: ¿What happend with the atribbutes?  when I do the overlay between points and polygons, the geometry is ok, but I can´t see the point attributes, only the polygon information is displayed. The columns for the point attributes appears but not the content.

Please see the attached image.

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 6 of 9 (478 Views)

02-15-2013 04:00 PM in reply to: julieta.martinez

julieta.martinez wrote:

Hi,

I have the same doubt and a additional question: ¿What happend with the atribbutes?  when I do the overlay between points and polygons, the geometry is ok, but I can´t see the point attributes, only the polygon information is displayed. The columns for the point attributes appears but not the content.

Please see the attached image.

What was the source and what type did you select? You may want to use the "Paste" type of Overlay.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 7 of 9 (470 Views)

02-16-2013 02:11 AM in reply to: julieta.martinez

Hi,

>> ¿What happend with the atribbutes?  when I do the overlay between points and polygons

May be I'm fully wrong, but what result should a JOIN of a point-theme with a polygonal theme give? You used JOIN in the thread title and my opinion to that is, you can join polygon and polygon, but not polygon and point.

If you used the overlaytype "IDENTITY", then you can only transfer the id from the polygon to the point. Otherwise you would have the problem when you have more than one point within a polygon ==> what point should than transfer it's data to the polygon? You can transfer 1:n but not n:1

There is something I'm not understanding.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 8 of 9 (461 Views)

02-16-2013 11:28 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred, that's a typical Gis request: the OP wants only to transmit Object Data from a given point to the polygon including it.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 9 of 9 (456 Views)

02-16-2013 12:02 PM in reply to: antoniovinci

Hi,

>> transmit Object Data from a given point to the polygon including it

Speaking about AutoCAD Map3D internal topology ... and one centroid for one polygon (as one topology)? Then yes.

But speaking about "Overlaying" of SDF themes, one of type point and the other one as polygonal theme can only result in a point theme with the attributes of both source themes in the resulting.

The option I see is the following workflow:

• (starting with a polygonal theme O_POLY and a point theme O_PNT)
  • start an overlay-analyses of type "Identity"
  • the resulting theme O_PNT_IDENTITY is of type point and has attached the attributes of both source themes
  • then do a relation/join: source-polygonal O_POLY:FeatID ==> O_PNT_IDENTITY:FeatID_2
  • ==> now you have the source polygonal theme with the attributes of the first point in relation (but be careful really having just one point in one polygon, otherwise you get one polygon listed multiple times in the datagrid, see screenshot (used different names, sorry).

2013-02-16 21-06-55.png

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.