AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So slow I want to puke...

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
LyleHardin
2323 Views, 11 Replies

So slow I want to puke...

I'm just getting into MAP3D. After attaching just a couple .shp files (even limiting the area with a rectangle) everything is so slow I can't even remember what I was doing by the time MAP3D becomes responsive again. Pans, zooms, moving things, every click I make takes several seconds or up to a minute to ALIGN something. New drawings with no MAP objects in them work fine. Surely something is not right. You guys don't actually work like this... Do you? I've not seen many posts about being slow, so I assume there's something working against me here. 

MAP 3D 2015. Data files are on network (which is fast). I have a good machine (Xeon 3.2 Ghz, 24 Gig RAM, Solid State HD, AMD FirePro W7000 video)

What can I try to speed things up?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi,

>> After attaching just a couple .shp files

How many, 2, 20, 200?

>> even limiting the area with a rectangle

results in how many point-/line-/polygonal objects?

Do you have any labeling active?

Have you enabled or disabled the hardware-acceleration?

What visual style have you set active? "2D Wireframe" or another one?

Have you cleaned your cache directory (look to command _MAPOPTIONS ==> tab "System" ==> "Clear Cache")

Is there any chance to get the data to try to reproduce your performance issue?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12

Just three things attached. Parcels and Streets and Image.

Yes I do have labels and have found if I turn the labels off it speeds things up a bit.

Hardware Acceleration is ON.

I'm in 2D Wireframe.

I've not tried clearing the cache.  I will try that next time I'm in the file.

The data would be kinda bulky to post somewhere.

The project is done and I've moved on. (It was just a quick strip map for a presentation and I figured it would be a good thing to learn Map3D with.)

I beleive the lables were the main culpret, but I'm sure I'll have some edits to make on this file and will keep these tips in mind (or revisit this post).

Thanks,

Lyle

Message 4 of 12

Hi,

>> I beleive the lables were the main culpret

Too many lables slows the whole system down, yes.

To avoid that you can split your stylizations for different scale ranges, a large scale range does not display lables, if you are close enough (so lables make sense to be read) then lables can appear .. but then that are only a few ones, not the amount that brings your system down.

In that screenshot for range up to 1:1000 I can see lables, the other range (1:1000 to infinity) the labels are turned off)

2014-05-30 21-06-04.png

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 12
hence_the_name
in reply to: LyleHardin

Hi,

in my experience the FDO Raster provider is not as fast as inserting the image directly into the drawing (using Map's  _mapiinsert).

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 6 of 12

Thanks Alfred!

It took me a while (about ten minutes) to figure out the Scale Range (display level) thing and how to associate it with a Theme, but once I did, those labels dissappeared when I didn't need them. Now I can zoom and pan at will. Much better!

I basically made a scale range from 0 to 2000 and deleted the scale range that went to infinity. Not sure if that is really correct, but it works for what I'm doing.

This was a good excercise with MAP3D and I hope to spread the knowlege to the resto of our Civil 3D users about how useful MAP can be.

Thanks again,

Lyle

Message 7 of 12
ekopay
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

>>>> even limiting the area with a rectangle

>>results in how many point-/line-/polygonal objects?

how can I limit the area with a rectangle?? I have a shp file connected and it's very slow. If I open it with ArcGis I have no problem.. can anyone help me? thanks

shp file contains tables and I use them for changing the color style

Message 8 of 12
LyleHardin
in reply to: ekopay

I'm no expert, but this is how I did it.

When you Connect your data, pick the pulldown part of "Add to Map" and select "Add to Map with Query".

In the dialog box that comes up pick the big box that says "Filter features by locating on the map".

You are presented with several choices of the type of area to select. ie Pick Rectangle.

Select your area in the drawing and Connect.

If your data is already in the drawing, then Disconnect first and Connect it back again following the steps above.

Message 9 of 12
ekopay

thanks, I did it 🙂

anyway, the file it's slow again. I tried to do the style thing, but the whole .shp disappear (I tried up to 60000). However in the shp there are no lables.
My shp are polygons of an Italian region with a lot of data tables. I use these data tables for changing the style and I obtain a colored map about what I need.
I hope there is a solution, the notebook it's new and it's strange that it's so slow with these shp files.
Message 10 of 12
foxeec
in reply to: ekopay

in my experience,  Map2015 almost grinds to a halt whenever i have an image attached through FDO.  i've been using the 'GEOMAP' command instead and choosing an aerial or hybrid image, which is much faster.
Lorrie

Message 11 of 12
parkr4st
in reply to: foxeec

some key words in your posts that add up to slower

So slow I want to puke...  please don't it's messy

Data files are on network - How many layers of directory folders away from your machine?  every bit takes time to transfer.  Go local.

I have a good machine.  - matter of opinion.  if it was good, it would be fast and you wouldn't have posted? Smiley Wink

The data would be kinda bulky to post somewhere.  - its called the cloud   Autodesk 360 if you have access.

FDO Raster provider is not as fast as inserting the image directly.  - I agree.  particulary with mediocre graphics card

a lot of data tables -   what is a lot?  5kb   500  gb?

it's so slow with these shp files.  - so why use .shp? 

Suggestions:

mapimport your .shp and pare off data you need for a particular map.  mapexport to a .sdf on your local drive.  use a C:\Project folder so it is not far to the data to travel.  spend some time logically preparing data.  If one field of twenty is the only field in use for themes it is enough.  You can reverse the process back to .shp if it is necessary.  When you have a good theme, save as .layer.

use local drive C, or whatever it is, C:\ Project\sdf; C:\ Project\shp; C:\ Project\layer ; etc so you are organized and find your data when you need it and so can the program.  After your are done with the images you can delete the whole folder or move it to storage on the network drive or cloud to free up the local drive space

As for the images, whether fdo or inserted as drawing layer, turn the foolish things off when you don't need them.  a lot of screen rewriting going on when the images are showing.  If you have 2015, do you have raster design?  you can iimerge images together and lower the number of files to load from.  That image can be iexport-ed to your local dive for use while you work,  one file; local drive = time saved.

Take advantage of named views to limit the area of the map you are seeing and use views with and without images or lables to easily switch back and forth.  Break the project into blocks of area in named views.  Also handy for quickly viewing at a particular scale to check out those labels.

Take advantage of Display map in Display Manager on Task Pane. 

I agree 100% with the labels.  They are a pita.

Just IMHO

dave

Message 12 of 12
clemay9S6TU

Classic Title by the way....

In regards to the Solution to this issue, I have worked with ArcMap and Autodesk products for enough years for my kids to grow up, and I have been working with AutoCAD Map for a current project and can relate to the title of this forum. And, I will be applying the scale ranges to hopefully resolve the same issues. My PC is overkill with memory and graphics card, solid state and all that fun stuff. This resolution seems fitting because inside of ArcGIS there are slider bars to view your features of your map layers, and they don't even give an option for "Infinity"... Thanks for the tip! I will come back and give some feedback as well.

Thanks,

AutoChris 3C......and all that fun stuff....

System Model Dell OptiPlex 7080
System Type Win10 Pro x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2904 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
Solid State Drives (Highly Recommend id freezing issues are a concern)
Size 1.82 TB (2,000,363,188,224 bytes)
Free Space 1.29 TB (1,420,986,601,472 bytes)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost