AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shapefiles and scaling issues

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mladair
3361 Views, 4 Replies

Shapefiles and scaling issues

I'm working on a project to map or local cemetery, showing borders, sections, lots, & grave spaces.  I'm running into a situation that I just can't seem to get a handle on.

I have a set of shape files from our local GIS dept of the area around our cemetery.  When I examine them in QGIS, everything looks OK.  Measuring the distance between two known points returns 204 feet.

Now, switching to AutoCAD Map 2012, I'm running into some issues.  I've tried MAPCONNECT and MAPIMPORT with the same results...   I create a new drawing, assign the projection (MI83-SIF) and then attach / import the shape files. Units for the drawing are standard decimal.  Using the MEASUREGEOM, I measure between two points and get 204 (which is what I would expect in feet).  When I change the units to Architectural, then MEASUREGEOM returns 17'.  So, it appears that, while "204" in the shape file should be feet, AutoCAD Map is interpreting it as inches.

Any thoughts and how I can get the shape files imported so that I can create updates in Architectural or Engineering units?

Matt

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: mladair

Mapping and Civil work is always in Feet not inches. Why do you want it in Architectural units?

Look at INSUNITS variable.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 5
parkr4st
in reply to: Murph_Map

and it probably wouldn't hurt to take a tape measure  and/or GPS if you have it to verify some points and make sure the whole project was laid out correctly versus the reality on the ground .

Message 4 of 5
bbrou25
in reply to: mladair

I'm running into the same issue expect that I already have univserity campus map that was drawn in normal AutoCAD in architectural units and I am inserting a Shape File and the units are not matching up.

The shape file insert is 1/12 the size of the CAD drawing due to the fact that the CAD drawing is 1 unit = 1 inch and the Shape file is 1 unit = 1 Foot.

And ideas to get the Shape file to insert and scale correclty would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
parkr4st
in reply to: bbrou25

my guess is the shp file is correct and you need to scale the cad line dwg. use the commands murph listed. it works. first make a back up copy of your line work dwg and give it a try.  and make sure to check against the real world before yuo get to far into it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost