AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select polyline by intersecting polyline (select by location)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
GIS_user
3048 Views, 8 Replies

Select polyline by intersecting polyline (select by location)

Hello all,

I am hoping I can do this in AutoCAD Map but I have my doubts. I will explain in ESRI GIS terms (this is what I am familiar with) and I hope you can tell me if I can do this in AutoCAD Map. In ESRI ArcMap I can select a line and I can hit a Select by Location button. In this window I can select all of the objects that intersect my selected line. Then I can delete them or export them etc.

In AutoCAD Map I have a polyline selected. It is my road centerline. I want to be able to select all of the other polylines that intersect my selected polyline. Is there a way to do this? I need to erase those polylines. Usually I will pan to each of them and select them individually. It just seems to take a lot of time.  My AutoCAD co-worker said I could use a fence and draw the fence through my polylines. It seemed to work ok but I accidently deleted extra things that I needed. So I'm back to manually selecting each one by one unless you know a different way.

Thank you for your help,

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
parkr4st
in reply to: GIS_user

are the polylines drawing object or gis objects?  Are the pl on the same or different layer(s) than the road centerline?

if you know you need to eliminate the lines after drawing, put them on a separate layer when you are drawing so you have the option to turn the layer off and not lose the linework plus qselect allow you to select the lines on basis of layer , etc.

Message 3 of 9
antoniovinci

Your co-worker suggestion was helping me to get a partial solution to this interesting question.

1. command _TRIM
  2. as trimming object, select the road centerline
  3. about the objects to be erased, draw a fence (minimum 2 points) passing inside them on the left side of the road centerline

In that manner, you erase the left "half" of the undesired objects, while so far I can't figure out how erasing the second half: stay tuned, maybe someone else will find the way...

Message 4 of 9
hence_the_name

Hi,

I assume you have AutoCAD polylines and no FDO objects and a newer version of Map (2010 or newer?)

1. open Map Workspace
2. switch to DisplayManager
3. in Displaymanager open context menu > data > add drawing data > layer
4. add the layers you need (layers with polylines)
5. in Displaymanager open context menu > data > add drawing data > query current drawing
6. in query drawing dialog box choose "position" query type, polyline / cross / fence
7. select the polyline in drawing
8. execute query

As a result Map will create a new layer in display manager containing the polylines fullfilling the query condition.

I do not have the english version at hand the dialog boxes and options might have different labels.
Performing a query in a drawing is not possible with older Map versions. In older map versions you can only query attached drawings.

Good luck,
Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 5 of 9
GIS_user
in reply to: hence_the_name

Parkr4st: thank you for responding. I do like using qselect to select based on color and layer. Unfortunately this case is too complicated for that. The small sections of road I need to delete are on the Road layer where all of my other roads are. And the centerline is on a different Roadcl layer.

antoniovinci: thank you for your help also. I couldn't get this to work with in this case but I can see where you were going with it.

Rob: thank you. I was able to get your idea to work. I didn't realize I could do this. It ended up selecting things on other layers but I guess if I turn them off or freeze them or lock them first I could get what I needed. But how can I delete those polylines after they are in the new layer in the display manager. If they are a new layer then the original objects in the drawing are probably not selected in order to delete, right? Still an interesting idea.

Message 6 of 9
hence_the_name

Hi,

when you query your drawing Map will not copy any drawing objects. The new layer as a result of your query is only a specific "view" on the original data, not a copy. You could turn off all other layers in Display Manager (including base layer) in order to display only the features identified by your query. Select these objects and delete them.

You can also refine your query and add another condition ("Properties") - just below "Position". Choose the "layer" property and select the layers you want to include into the query.

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 7 of 9
LeafRiders
in reply to: hence_the_name

Open blank drawing:

Map > Query > Define Query... select the drawing in which you have your line and set of entities you'd like to retrieve... And work through the query command. (Location to fence / Alter properties to a different layer) and whola.

I'm pretty sure there are other threads on here that go through the Query process in greater detail as well. Good Luck. You have clearly pointed out an area that could use improvement.

Message 8 of 9
Gary_Braun

Autocad has an express tool to do this. Type FASTSEL and select your line, AutoCAD will add all objects touching it to the selection set.

-gb

Message 9 of 9
GIS_user
in reply to: Gary_Braun

Hi Gary,

Oh I was so excited to try this since I had never heard of it. Alas, it seems this command only picks the objects touching in the current view extent. For example, the minute I zoom out or pan lines that should have been selected are not simply because they weren't in my view when I ran the command. Ugh, so close to exactly what I need. I will attach a screen shot. The little light green segments along my dark green road centerline are all I really want to select and delete.

Thank you though! That was a great suggestion!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost