AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SHP of polygons with islands

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
734 Views, 7 Replies

SHP of polygons with islands

Hi.If I have a shapefile of polygons with islands how can I import it,keeping those polygons with the holes for the islands?Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The only way I found was to set a pattern fill for the MPolygon to DOTS with a scale of 5000 or some large number.
This keeps an outline of the shapefile with the fill being a couple of dots, a "no color" selection would be nice for color selection.
Message 3 of 8
cedwards8511

I have the same problem.
There is also the problem of exporting shp out of Map. I have a zoning map with many pline boundaries and some of the boundaries have "islands" of other zones within them. When the map is exported the outer boundary has no island in the shp. There are just overlapping objects that I have to go back into ArcGIS to cut the islands out of the larger zone boundaries.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Did you find a solution for your problem? I have the same. I tried mpolygons, but lost the object data on the way. I tried sdf, but there was a problem with the layer order and not all the attributes were correct.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Hi,
To import a polygon shp and maintain the islands relation with the outer border, all you have to do is to, in the import shp dialog box, NOT to select the Import polygons as closed polylines (leave it unchecked).
Map will import the info as Mpolygons. If you select data, the dbf data will be stored as Object data.
Message 6 of 8
matTech

I hate polylines and hatches. Go with the Mpolygon and it will allow you to have islands and import/export.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

When converting closed polylines to mpolygons and wanting to keep the object data try creating centroids first, then a create a topology using those centroids and finaly convert topology to mpolygon (maptopologytopolygons) and pass centroid data during conversion.

John
Message 8 of 8
edwa8511

I have to agree that keeping my zoning map boundaries in the shp format is the best way to go...for now.
I gave up trying to manage the shp and the dwg separate so that all users, with different software are able to use the data. I hope that Map continues to move to the GIS functionality, as long as it keeps all CADD abilities also.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost