AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDE Enterprise Connection - No ArcGIS License Found

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Gary_Braun
3515 Views, 13 Replies

SDE Enterprise Connection - No ArcGIS License Found

I'm already working on this with our reseller, but thought I would post here as well, just in case somebody out there has already seen and beaten this problem, or has some insight to it that we may have missed.

I'm trying to get an FDO ArcGIS Connection to an SDE Enterprise database. When I enter all of the parameters and hit the Login button, I get an error "No valid ArcGIS license was found."

Here are some of the details:
Windows XP Pro 32-bit
Map 2013 SP1 - standalone license
ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 - x86 floating network license
SQL Server 2008 R2 SDE 10.1 database

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
phil_borycens
in reply to: Gary_Braun

Hi Gary,

Are you sure that your ESRI license was not already in use when you were trying to make this connection?

When you say that you entered all parameters, you mean server name, instance name, login name, password, and version, right?

Also please remember that Enterprise ArcSDE only supports server authentication.

I look forward to your reply, or to seeing other tips from the community.

Thanks!

Phil

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 14
Gary_Braun
in reply to: phil_borycens

Hi Phil,

See the attached image for the connection settings and error message. We have shared ArcGIS licenses on the network, and at the time of this screen shot, the ArcGIS license manager was telling me that none of them were in use, and I as able to launch ArcGIS and get a license immediately after this. Also, I use Safe Software's FME, and it successfully pulls an ArcGIS license when using these same connection parameters, which leaves me wondering what the problem is with Map3D.

Thanks,

Gary

Message 4 of 14
phil_borycens

Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting that. It looks good to me -- everything seems to be in order.

My colleague wonders if maybe it doesn’t share well with other programs on the same machine? In other words, maybe if Safe has already taken a license, Map3D isn’t able to piggyback on it?

Finally, what about changing the Instance name?

::shrugging shoulders::

Phil

Phil Borycens
Message 5 of 14
Gary_Braun

Hi Phil,

I don't have FME "extended" to Map 3D, and at the time of the screen-shot I sent, Map was the only application open (apart from Outlook and Firefox), so nothing else on my machine should have been consuming an ArcGIS license.

As for changing the Instance name, I'm willing to give it a try, but what would I change it to? As far as I know it needs to be "sde:sqlserver:<servername>" in order for it ts work.

Thanks for your assistance.

Gary

Message 6 of 14
phil_borycens

I was thinking of just having you change the Instance name to something obviously made-up and erronous, to see if it throws the same error message, or a different one.

If it throws the same error message, then I'd say that it's actually a different problem (not an ESRI license problem).

Phil Borycens
Message 7 of 14
Gary_Braun

Ok, I tried giving it a bogus instance name and got the same error. Likewise, I provide incorrect info for all of the other fields as well, (server name, data store, login name), and again got the same "no valid license" error, so maybe you're onto something.

BTW, back when we were connecting to an ArcGIS 9.3.1 datastore, we had to copy some esri dll's into the bin/fdo folder. I haven't done that with Map 2013 and ArcGIS 10.1, is it possible there are some libraries that Map needs but can't find?

Message 8 of 14
phil_borycens

Ahh, that's probably the issue then. You should get the three DLLs: pe, sg, and sde, from an ESRI ArcSDE server installation. They need to match the bitness of your system (32-bit, from what you wrote). Simply drop those files into your C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Map 3D 2013\bin\FDO folder and restart AutoCAD. You should be good to go!

Please let us know what happens.

Phil Borycens
Message 9 of 14
Gary_Braun

Sadly, that still didn't fix it.

ArcGIS 10.1 seems to be a very different beast somehow, is it possible there are additional DLL's that need to be added? For instance, in the ArcGIS bin folder I see things like sdemssqlsvr101.dll, that are new and weren't around with ArcGIS 9.3.1, so I have no idea if I need to add some of these as well. I'm a bit reluctant to just start adding everything from my arcgis bin folder into my Map3D bin folder without knowing what I'm up to.

Message 10 of 14
phil_borycens

Hi Gary,

I spoke with a few more people here at Autodesk and found out that we have not tested ArcGIS 10.1 yet; we have only tested through 10.0. So it seems that we might need to revise/rebuild our provider for compatibility with 10.1. I'm sorry to let you know this, but at least it explains the trouble connecting.

Would you be able to use 10.0 to connect to this datastore until the provider is revised?

Phil Borycens
Message 11 of 14
Gary_Braun

Hi Phil,

I'm so glad to see this is "solved", kind of adds new meaning to the word.

In any case, we've just gone through a process of pretty extensive upgrades of our gis servers and other bits of associated software, and I don't think there is any going back to 10.0 at this point. All along the way, I just KNEW this was going to happen.

Thanks for your input Phil, I do appreciate your help.

Message 12 of 14
malcolml

I have just been informed by our GIS group that they are upgrading to Arcgis 10.1. We are currently using Civil 3D 2012 but can move to Civil 3D 2013 if the connection issue has been resolved.

Message 13 of 14
Gary_Braun

Okay, so that was then and this is now.

ArcGIS 10.1 has been available since at least August 2013 but Map 3D 2014 is still not able to connect! Nine months now and a new software version, but still no resolution. I find it curious that a relatively small, (though admittedly bright), company like Safe Software has been able to read/write to ArcGIS 10.1 sde and file geodatabases with FME since the day esri 10.1 was launched, but a behemoth like Autodesk seems uanble to pull it off. It really does sound more like a lack of will than anything else.

Has ANYBODY been able to connect to ArcGIS 10.1 data through the ArcGIS FDO connector yet?

anybody?

Message 14 of 14
Gary_Braun

Just to post a solution to my own problem, I have finally managed to make this work connecting 32-bit Map 3D 2014 to an ArcGIS 10.1 SDE data store on 64-bit SQL Server 2008 using the ArcSDE FDO connection.

What I had to do was:
Add an environment variable so Map could pull an esri license.
ESRI_LICENSE_FILE = port@server

Then I had to find the following libraries in my Arcgis desktop BIN folder and copy them into my Map 3D BIN/FDO folder; gsrvmssql101.dll, icudt44.dll, icuuc44.dll, sdemssqlsrvr101.dll, xerces-c_3.1.dll

I don't believe this has anything to do with pe.dll, sg.dll, and sde.dll, I had already added them to my BIN folder and didn't bother to remove them so they are still in there, but the connection did not work until I added the other libraries I've mentioned.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost