AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Contributor
Skittles11688
Message 11 of 16 (91 Views)

Re: Rebuilding access database but retaining links

10-02-2013 08:02 AM in reply to: parkr4st

Here is an example of Data as it is now.

DataExampleNow.jpg

Here is how I want it to look

Service Info Table

DataExampleGoal.JPG

It is a Service Info Table with all the generic service information and then a pipe data table with the specific pipe information related to that service. They are linked through the Service_ID which is the Key field in the Service info table. One service may have multiple sections of pipe so those sections would have the same service ID as the Service info table, but will have their own Unique_ID which is the Key field in the Pipe data table.

as of right now all the information is on the one table and each record is linked to a poly line in autocad representing the service pipe.

There are meters but those are not visually represented. Valves are visually represented but are their own DWG file and their own access database.

Thank you for your help!

Contributor
Skittles11688
Message 12 of 16 (86 Views)

10-02-2013 08:15 AM in reply to: luc.vanlinden

This was great! it did one step of what i needed to do. Now they have been relinked to the service info table, but is there a way to get the pipe data table to link to the poly lines as well? The pipe data table has the same service Id as the service info table. I wish there was an easy way to duplicate the link template and then change it to the pipe data table as well. this would solve my problem i think.

Valued Mentor
parkr4st
Message 13 of 16 (74 Views)

10-02-2013 08:57 AM in reply to: Skittles11688

Water or gas services?

I would have guessed the service would be a point at the building served (ie. meter) and the pipes as polylines are pipes linking a main to the services.

service db would have id, xyz, customer/user id, meter#

pipe data related to the service through the service id.

pipe record #, pipe id, service id, pipe type, length

customer id related to the customer data table

pipe type related to a pipe info table where the material, date if purchase, manufacturer, and such relevant data is kept.

meter table would hold the meter manuf, new date, etc.

and the valves would fit into the piping scheme somehow

This may be a candidate for Industry model for water or gas? 

dave

Contributor
Skittles11688
Message 14 of 16 (69 Views)

10-02-2013 09:17 AM in reply to: parkr4st

They are gas services. This is a database and DWG i inherited when i took over a retirees position. It was all set up by him. I completely agree with you that there are a billion better ways to do things, I am sure of this.

Just for background this is a local government entity, and resources are scarce, including training and IT or people with general knowledge of computer programs and how they work.

If i knew how to break up everything and set it up in a standard way that is common to many other gas companys, i would absolutely do so, but i am not sure how to go about it. It also all needs to work with our annual reporting which i do through access queries. I absolutely do not mind making new queries, as this will be necessary, but i need to be sure that i can still query out all the information that i need together. I suppose i need to do some more research. I am leaving for the day today, but will be back tomorrow.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions so far! I am hoping i can get this done correctly!

*Expert Elite*
braudpat
Message 15 of 16 (65 Views)

10-02-2013 09:38 AM in reply to: Skittles11688

Hello

+2 with Luc

A lot of special things can be done with the LInk Template of the ACAD/MAP ASE-SQL Module !

For example a one time you are linked to a Table named XXX with a Key Fileld YYY through a Link Template named ZZZ

You quit ACAD ...

You work into Access (or Oracle) and now with the same names of Table and Key Fiield :

it's not a Table but in Fact NOW it's an other Table or Query (Or View in Oracle)

As long as you maintain the names of the Table/Query/VIew and the Key Field Type & Name,

your entities are always linked to Access/Oracle/etc ... If the corresponding Record exists of course !

May others tricks are possible ...

Bye, Pat

Bye, Pat

Contributor
Skittles11688
Message 16 of 16 (52 Views)

10-03-2013 06:40 AM in reply to: Skittles11688

I thank all of you for all your help. You all got me part of the way there. Unfortunately it seems that the rest of what I want to do is going to take some lisp coding which I am not familiar with. I am going to have to wait until my company can get the resources to do this the right way. Until then I will just have to manage what I have. Thanks again! Everyone has been so helpful!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community